Bail Granted To The Main Accused In Junaid Lynching Case; All Accused Now Out On Bail
The Logical Indian Crew Uttar Pradesh
October 4th, 2018 / 6:21 PM
In June 2017, a 17-year-old Muslim boy was stabbed to death. The incident happened when the boy, Hafiz Junaid Khan along with his brothers was returning home to Khandawli village in Ballabgarh, Uttar Pradesh after shopping for Eid in Delhi. The youth along his brother had boarded a Mathura-bound train when an argument over a seat turned into a religious slur that eventually took Junaid’s life. In just more than a year, all the accused who lynched Junaid are all out on the bail. On Wednesday the main accused of Junaid Khan lynching case, also the last one in the jail was granted interim bail by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
According to The Indian Express, the accused, Naresh Kumar was in the judicial custody since July 8, 2017. The order for his interim bail was passed by Justice Daya Chaudhary. As per the Court, he was granted bail after the Supreme Court had put a stay order on the proceedings of the case before the trial Court. His bail plea was approved after accused’s lawyer urged the Court that he has been in the jail for more than a year and which is why he should be getting interim bail.
Session Court had dismissed his plea
Earlier on June 7, a Session Court had dismissed Naresh’s bail plea stating that the charges against him are serious in nature and in case he is granted a bail “there is every possibility for pressurising of the prosecution witnesses”. The court also pointed out that mere long custody does not make the accused entitled to bail.
The accused, Naresh is facing charges under Sections 298 (uttering, words, etc., with deliberate intent to wound the religious feelings of any person), 323 voluntarily causing hurt), 324 (Voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means), 341 (wrongful restraint), 301 (culpable homicide), 302 (murder) and other provisions of IPC before the trial court.
The other five accused were also granted bail earlier this year. According to The Times of India, in March, Rameshwar Dass (52) one of the six men who had been arrested in the case was also granted bail. Naresh and Dass, who is a Health Inspector in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, are the main accused in the case.
“Even as per the FIR, I was not shown to be involved in the said fight as it was stated to be between the victim and two to three boys who were travelling in the same coach of the train. Even otherwise, the role attributed to me was similar to that of the three other accused who have already been granted bail,” Dass had told the Court.
A father lost his 17-year-old
On June 22, 2017, when the Junaid was returning to his home a few men who were also travelling in the same coach started an altercation with Junaid and his brother on the Mathura-bound train. The argument started over a seat turned violent. Junaid’s two brothers had told the police that the attackers first threw Junaid’s skull cap and then started to call them “anti-nationals” and “beef eaters”. The attackers then caught their beards and taunted them with terms such as “mulla”, as reported by Hindustan Times.
The incident took Junaid’s life who was a student of Islamic studies in Surat then. His brothers Md Mausin (16), Md Moin (18) and Hashim (20) also got injured in the case.
Written by :
Edited by : Shraddha Goled