The Reluctant Truth Behind Engineered Seed
July 19th, 2015 / 9:28 AM
The word GMO often stirs up a debate as there is not much known about it and has already caused a lot of trouble. Genetically Modified Seed is basically infused with Bacillus thuringiensis (famously known as bt) to prevent the crops from insects and bugs. But the truth is:
• BT is a naturally occurring bacterial protein and behaves differently when infused genetically.
• It actually resulted in increased number of insects and many of them are resistant to the herbicide glyphosate (Monsanto’s Roundup) which has been shown to cause birth defects in amphibians.
• GMO focuses on the monoculture, hence destroys the productivity of the soil.
• it also damages the food supply by effecting bugs like bees and butterflies
But GMO companies have eradicated the last step as
• It is illegal to harvest and save the seed for the next season due to patent rights.
• Another major concern is contamination, so technically no one can guarantee that any organic product in the market is completely organic.
Do we ever think why there has been an increase in the number of farmer suicide cases?
• The reasons contributing to this rise can be both natural and man-made.
• Farmers rely on monsoon for a good crop and if the rain fails so does their hope.
• Farmers borrow money at higher rates to buy these overly priced GMO seeds
• But unfortunately, GMO crops need more water and more chemicals, hence the higher cost of farming leads to higher debts and more suicides.
Our government too is inconsiderate towards the environment and health effects of GMO. GM food is available in the market without proper labeling and people are unknowingly becoming victims to the new toxins, allergens and nutritional deficiencies. Is there a solution to this problem?
• Simply reject the brands that contain GM.
• The other solutions could be to educate the farmers by arranging workshops where they can learn to use cow dung, cow urine and neem leaves instead of harmful insecticides.
– Annie Arora
Image Courtesy: GMO
Disclaimer: Views expressed by the author are personal.It doesn’t necessarily reflect the view/opinion of The Logical Indian.
Written by :
Edited by :