Alcohol consumption too often is taken lightly, the addiction and the after effects of intoxication have not been part of the public debate space. However, on public outcry, there has been efforts made by some of the state governments to bring about a total prohibition of alcohol. Even as the efforts are underway, alcohol has had its huge negative influence on the society.
What is the data behind alcohol consumption in India?
1. According to World Health Organisation report, per capita consumption of alcohol in India increased 38 percent, from 1.6 litres in 2003-05 to 2.2 litres in 2010-12.
2. The same report also said, 11 % of Indians are excessive drinkers in comparison with the global average of 16 %.
The Human cost of Alcohol in India
1. One person dies every 96 minutes due to alcohol related illness and issues according to Indiaspend analysis.
2. Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, and Tamilnadu are the three states with most alcohol related deaths.
3. A Quarter of all hospital admissions and 69% of all crimes in Kerala are due to alcohol according to Alcohol and drugs information center.
Social Impact of Alcohol
1. Alcohol consumption has affected the dynamics of family, where precious savings are being used for consumption of liquor.
2. Violence against women is one of the outcomes of alcohol consumption and intoxication of alcohol has contributed to the patriarchal character of the society as evident in the damning statistics and reality that women face in India.
3. Children suffer abuse and become witness to rude behavior at homes which in turn influences their thinking patterns.
Prohibition is one of the ways forward and also educating the masses, however without proper implementation, prohibition gives rise to illicit liquor which in turn cost many lives. In 2015, consumption of illegally brewed liquor claimed more than 100 lives in Malwani, Mumbai, triggering widespread outrage. As many as 1,699 people died in 2014 after consuming spurious/illicit liquor, an increase of 339 percent from 387 in 2013 as reported by Indian Express.
The Logical Indian appeals to all the state governments to take steps for educating the masses and also to implement the prohibition properly. Ineffective implementation of total prohibition in many states has lead to deaths due to spurious liquor and has also contributed to rise of organised crimes.
“Researchers Find 12,000 Pieces Of Microplastic Per Litre Of Arctic Ice”
“80-Kg Polythene Waste Removed From Cow’s Stomach After A Three-Hour Surgery”
“Pacific Garbage Patch Is Now Three Times The Size Of France”
These are a few news headlines from the past couple of months. No matter how much we try to deny it, over the course of time, plastic has become a part and parcel of our lives and it is destroying the environment and also endangering lives of animals.
While we have been made to believe that plastic is an indispensable part of our lives, it is destroying everything around us. According to UN Environment, about one million plastic drinking bottles are purchased every minute around the world. Also, up to 5 trillion single-use plastic bags are used worldwide every year. This means that almost half of the plastic created in the world is thrown away after a single-use.
All this plastic now ends up either in landfills or in the ocean. The marine life is heavily endangered because of plastic. Reports of aquatic animals dying of plastic pollution are increasing every day. A study from 2015 found around 44,000 incidences of animals getting entangled in plastic debris since 1960s. Plastic, that disintegrates into smaller pieces, are often eaten by smaller fish, which the ultimately ends up in our stomach. That is carcinogenic for human beings.
It is in this context that Indiabulls Home Loans has decided to do its bit and contribute to a plastic free environment. Setting the tone in its own offices, the company has decided to do away with single-use plastic bags and bottles at work.
As a special Independence Day initiatives, they have come up with a beautiful video #PlasticSeAzaadi. In the video, set against the backdrop of an Independence Day celebration at school children discuss the demerits of plastic use and how it is detrimental to the environment.
As with many important matters in life, it is children who recognize the right path and set the example. If they can, then why it is that adult can’t?
The Logical Indian appreciates Indiabulls Home Loansfor such a noble and necessary initiative to make our world a better place. We might not realize now, but the effects of excessive plastic could lead to ultimate destruction of Earth. We are ready to give up plastic, are you?