August 22nd, 2016
Image Courtesy: Kirit Somaiya
There are many people in India who lose their limb is some accident. When a person becomes an amputee, they are faced with staggering emotional and financial lifestyle changes. Fortunately, high tech prosthetic devices that restore a person’s basic skills and independence are available. Unfortunately, many amputees lack the financial resources to obtain adequate prosthetic care.
LIMB FOR LIFE initiative by Mumbai (MH, India) based NGO Yuvak Prathishtan. It’s is a new hope, a new vision, a new chapter. Under this mission, the NGO provides free advanced-electronic prosthetic limbs to amputees who cannot afford it.
- Provide a financial bridge between low-income amputees and the quality prosthetic care needed to restore their lives.
- Provide fully-functional prosthetic care for individuals who cannot otherwise afford it and raising awareness of the challenges facing amputees.
- After an amputee approaches the NGO, they do a thorough research on what type of limb is required.
- The documented research is sent to the manufacturer; in Germany.
- The manufacturer makes the limb – on made to order basis.
- The limb reaches the amputee in approximately 2 months; at no cost whatsoever.
Mrs. Kavita Harpani (GJ, India) lost both her hands due to an electric shock. She couldn’t even hold her child in hands. This NGO came to rescue and under LFL mission, she got 2 advanced-electronic limbs; for free. These new limbs have changed her life forever.
About the NGO:
Yuvak Prathishtan, founded by Member of Parliament Dr. Kirit Somaiya (Mumbai north-east) in 1980, is committed to create awareness and social, economic, environmental and public health related issues to the society at large.
The mission is led by Neil Somaiya who is a socio-political activist and one of those who are trying to make a change. As a socio-political activist, he has taken up several projects to encourage the youth on various subjects like education, saving electricity, cleanliness, sanitation, health and national pride. You can contact him on +91 22 21634152 or mail him at [email protected] for assistance.