Indian Railways Provide Rs 10 Lakh Insurance At 92 Paise For Every Booking, Know About It
November 22nd, 2016
Image Courtesy: New Indian Express
In the wake of the death of the passengers travelling in the ill-fated Indore-Patna Express, The Logical Indian would like to put forward the importance of the Insurance Cover offered by IRCTC. Out of the 410 tickets booked for Indore-Patna Express on the IRCTC website only 126 passengers opted for insurance. The families of the 78 people will be liable to get an insurance payout.
The IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) website has started insurance schemes for passengers from September 1, 2016. The passengers who book their tickets through IRCTC website can avail a travel accident cover of Rs 10 lakh by paying a premium of less than Re 1.
- The scheme is applicable only for Indian Citizens who book their tickets through IRCTC online portal.
- The scheme is optional
- The premium is 92 paise per passenger inclusive of all taxes.
- The facility is provided to all the passengers excluding those travelling by suburban trains.
- The passengers can opt for travel insurance cover by booking online irrespective of the travel class.
- The scheme does not include children up to 5-years of age and foreign citizens.
- It is only applicable to those passengers who have confirmed, RAC and waitlisted tickets.
The insurance cover also offers compensation of Rs 10 lakh to travellers, nominees, legal heirs in the event of death or total disability. In a case of partial disability, Rs 7.5 lakh will be given as compensation, Rs 2 lakh for hospitalisation expenses and Rs 10,000 for transportation of mortal remains from the place of incident.
The complete details can be found here.