1. The Central Excise Duty on Petrol increased from Rs 9.48 per liter to Rs 21.48 per liter in the 3 plus years of the BJP government. On the other hand, the duty on Diesel increased by more than 4 times from Rs 3.56 per liter to Rs 17.33 per liter.
2. The State VAT on petrol is at least 25% in 26 states with the highest in Mumbai at 48.98%. The State VAT on diesel is more than 20% in 15 states and highest of 31.06% in Andhra Pradesh.
3. The central government revenue through excise duty on petrol & diesel more than tripled between 2013-14 and 2016-17. During the same period, the state government revenuthrough VAT increased marginally.
4. In the retail selling price of diesel (in Delhi at IOCL as of 09th September 2017), 44.6% is taxes.
5. In the retail selling price of petrol (in Delhi at IOCL as of 09th September 2017), 51.6% is taxes.
Read more at Factly | Author – Uday Erothu