On September 3, when a massive fire broke out at the ONGC’s Oil and Gas processing plant in Nagaon, production superintendent CN Rao was checking the gas leaks. The officer sacrificed himself to save his colleagues and avert a major tragedy.
While the exact reason behind the fire is still unknown, it is said that the underground storage tank containing highly flammable chemicals effluents overflew and came in contact with the fire source.
As reported by The Times of India, 54-year-old Rao, closed the main gas pipeline valve on smelling the leak. However, when he was looking for other leaks with colleagues, the blast took place.
The fire DNA sample had to be taken to identify his body. Rao is survived by his wife and two sons who live at Kharghar. The news has shocked the family.
Rao, who joined ONGC in 1990, is being described as a helpful, dedicated officer. Not just Rao, three CISF firefighters also lost their lives.
ONGC, through its official Twitter handle, said, “We are extremely sad to have lost four precious lives-three CISF jawans and a senior ONGC officer in the unfortunate fire incident in Uran Plant today in spite of valiant efforts made to contain the blaze in less than 2 hours time. ONGC expresses its heartfelt condolence to bereaved families.”
We r extremely sad to hv lost 4 precious lives-3 CISF jawans and a senior ONGC officer in the unfortunate fire incident in Uran Plant 2day inspite of valiant efforts made to contain blaze in less than 2 hrs tme. #ONGC expresses its heartfelt condolence to bereaved families.
— ONGC (@ONGC_) September 3, 2019
The efforts to normalise the situation are underway. ONGC has said that the fire has had no effect on the oil processing and the gas has been diverted to the Hazira plant in Gujarat.
However, institutions like Mahanagar Gas Limited and Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) may get affected once their reserve gas runs out.