In March this year, the amendments to the controversial Finance Bill, 2017-18 were passed, thereby rejecting the suggestions made by the Rajya Sabha. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley justified his stance by reasoning in favour of keeping a check on tax evasions.
The key points in the amendments were: making Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns, linking the details of PAN card with Aadhaar card, and lowerin0g the cash cap to 2 lakh.
Recently, the government also suggested linking of aadhaar card to PAN card to avoid flow of fake PAN cards. As the claims say, 10 lakh PAN cards have been cancelled and none of the 111 crore aadhaar issued yet have been detected with any sort of redundancy or duplicacy.
The link to have the aadhar card and PAN card linked was only provided last week.
Among all these comes the news of Income Tax Department facilitating the correction of names and other details in their aadhar card and PAN card details. The aadhaar card and PAN card holders can now correct their details on aadhaar card and PAN cards via a link called-” Link to correct name”, just below the link to adjoin aadhar card and PAN card( “ Link to aadhaar”) on incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. The Department has provided two separate hyperlinks for aadhar card and PAN card once the taxpayer clicks on ‘Link to correct name’.
The taxpayer has to upload the necessary scanned documents for the correction
How to correct details:
- Visit incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on ‘link to correct name’
- There are two links in the next page : one for PAN card and other for aadhaar card.
- Click on the required to update the details.
- Once the taxpayer clicks any of the links a certain some information is to be filled by the taxpayer in order to make sure that there is no fraudulent data being entered.
- On the page where the user chooses to correct the details on aadhar card, the aadhaar card number and a certain captcha are asked followed by the verification by OTP.
- If the user clicks on PAN card update link an online PAN application form appears where the user is supposed to fill the required details in order to complete the process.
Another point to be noted here is that the online link for change and update of aadhaar card details was available earlier as well.
The link: uidai
The above mentioned link further redirects the user to the same page as mentioned in the e-filing website by the IT department.
Although to update the PAN card details, earlier one had to fill an online request form for the same as no direct link for the update was provided back then.
The link to the online request form: myutiitsl