October 28th, 2016
Chinese Crackers Dangerous
With Diwali coming round the corner and the hype in the ban of Chinese crackers, let’s find out how cheap Chinese crackers are more dangerous than the normal ones. The main reason for banning Chinese crackers is the presence of highly toxic Potassium Chlorate. It is a very reactive chemical and has a very powerful oxidising ability.
How are these Chinese fireworks dangerous?
- The main reason behind banning these crackers is because of the presence of highly unstable chemical potassium chlorate.
- The presence of this chemical causes skin diseases and triggers allergies.
- The level of pollution created by these fireworks is also higher.
- The sulphur content produces toxic oxides which causes eye irritation and respiratory distress.
- It irritates skin and causes breathing troubles.
- Prolonged exposure can lead to bronchitis and affects kidneys and the nervous system.
The use of potassium chlorate has been banned in India since 1992 and the possession and sale of fireworks of foreign origin in India are illegal and is punishable by law. Indian fireworks use potassium and sodium nitrate which are safer. Though the pollution created by crackers are equally dangerous for the environment.
Since the cost of potassium chlorate is a third that of potassium or sodium nitrate the customers prefers to buy these crackers. But with the intervention of government, raiding shops and confiscating firecrackers, the availability of these crackers is highly monitored.
Are Indian Firecrackers less polluting?
No, every cracker affects the environment. Even in India, many manufacturers use banned chemicals. They do not mention the chemical composition on the packaging despite it is mandatory under the Explosive Rules, 2008 to mention chemical composition and noise levels of the fireworks.
With your help today, India can
nurture future sportspersons.
Petition the HRD Ministry to make
sports a compulsory subject in
schools. Sports is education too.