Kerala government on its formation day of November 1 will declare itself as a open defecation free state. PM Narendra Modi could be invited to join the event that will be held in Thiruvananthapuram.
Kerala is building over 1.90 lakh toilets across the 941 grama panchayats under its sanitation programme.
Another first for Kerala
Kerala has achieved many milestones on health and education. The sanitation program that will make Kerala open-defecation free will be an another feather in cap for Kerala, a state which is way ahead of other states in India in many of the important social indicators.
Let us look at some of the important milestones that Kerala has achieved over the years:
- According to 2014 data, Kerala has a HDI of 0.791 (high category) which is comparable to many developed nations in the world.
- The 2011 census designated Kerala as the most literate state in India besides Kerala also has one of the highest life expectancy in India.
- The demography of Kerala is comparable to many developed nations because of low birth rates.
- According to transparency international 2005 data, Kerala was the least corrupt state in India.
- It has the least population who are homeless and landless besides it is also lowest in hunger index
The other states should prioritize improving social indicators as priority and ensure the masses are provided with proper education and health facilities. Let us hope this declaration of a state as open-defecation free will provide an additional impetus to Swachh Bharat scheme of the central government.