AI-Generated

Hyderabad 7-Storey Building Collapse: At Least 2 Dead, Several Injured

A seven-storey under-construction building collapsed in Hyderabad, killing two workers and raising questions over construction safety.

Supported by

Two people were killed after a seven-storey under-construction building collapsed in Anjaiah Nagar, near Gachibowli in Hyderabad, on Saturday, August 22.

The structure reportedly stood on a small plot alongside a nala and collapsed suddenly, with debris falling onto a neighbouring apartment and injuring others. Cyberabad Police, the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and Hyderabad Disaster Response and Asset Protection Agency (HYDRAA) teams reached the site and launched a search-and-rescue operation.

NDRF Deputy Commandant Damodar Singh said the weakened, unfinished structure collapsed onto the adjacent building, with floors reportedly falling one over another. Rescue teams used sniffer dogs and search cameras while checking the rubble for anyone who could still be trapped.

Initial reports have also raised questions about the building’s construction and permissions, with allegations that it was an unauthorised structure; however, the precise cause of the collapse and the status of its approvals remain matters for official investigation.

Rescue Teams Search Rubble

The collapse took place in the densely built Anjaiah Nagar area, where the narrow surroundings made the rescue operation more challenging. According to reports, the building was being constructed on a plot of around 50–60 square yards and had reached seven storeys, with some reports describing it as a 7+1 structure.

When the building came down, much of the debris landed on a neighbouring apartment, creating an additional risk for people living nearby. Reports said at least one person in the adjacent building was injured, while rescue teams continued checking the debris for survivors.

The scale of the collapse meant that rescuers could not immediately assume that everyone had been accounted for. NDRF personnel reportedly deployed sniffer dogs and specialised cameras to examine the rubble, while HYDRAA and police teams worked to clear the site.

Damodar Singh, the NDRF officer quoted in reports, described the structure as weak and under construction and said the floors had collapsed directly on top of one another. The operation therefore remained focused not only on recovering the dead and injured but also on establishing whether anyone else was trapped underneath the concrete and steel.

Questions Over Construction

The immediate tragedy has also brought renewed attention to how such a tall structure came to be built on such a confined plot in a densely populated neighbourhood. Local reports have described the construction as allegedly unauthorised and said it was located beside a nala. Some reports have further stated that construction at the site had previously been halted.

These details are significant, but they should not be treated as established facts about the legality or cause of the collapse until authorities complete their inquiry.

The incident nevertheless raises legitimate questions about the chain of responsibility behind urban construction. Before a building reaches several storeys, planning permissions, structural requirements and construction standards are intended to protect not only workers but also neighbouring residents.

When an unfinished structure collapses onto another property, the consequences extend beyond the construction site itself. The event therefore warrants scrutiny of the approvals granted, the construction practices followed and whether inspections or enforcement measures were adequate.

The incident also comes against the backdrop of Hyderabad’s rapid expansion, particularly in areas around Gachibowli, Madhapur and Kondapur, where residential, commercial and rental accommodation have grown rapidly.

In such neighbourhoods, buildings often stand close together and construction activity takes place alongside occupied homes, hostels and apartment blocks. That makes effective enforcement essential: safety cannot depend solely on what happens after a structure begins to fail.

The Logical Indian’s Perspective

Two people have lost their lives in a collapse that has left a neighbourhood shaken and emergency teams searching through concrete and steel for possible survivors. While the immediate priority is to rescue anyone still trapped and support those affected, accountability must follow.

If the investigation finds violations, negligence or failures in oversight, those responsible must be held answerable through due process; if the structure had valid permissions, authorities must establish what structural or construction failure caused it to collapse.

The larger lesson is that urban development cannot be measured only by how quickly buildings rise. It must also be measured by whether those buildings are safe for the workers who construct them and the communities that live around them. A tragedy of this kind should lead not to speculation or blame without evidence, but to a transparent investigation and meaningful corrective action.

As Hyderabad continues to grow, what safeguards should authorities, builders and local communities strengthen to ensure that development never comes at the cost of human lives?

Also Read: Sugar Prices Are Rising: Government Points To Crop Disease, Rainfall And Lower Output

#PoweredByYou We bring you news and stories that are worth your attention! Stories that are relevant, reliable, contextual and unbiased. If you read us, watch us, and like what we do, then show us some love! Good journalism is expensive to produce and we have come this far only with your support. Keep encouraging independent media organisations and independent journalists. We always want to remain answerable to you and not to anyone else.

Featured

Amplified by

Amazon Prime

For Two Nights in June, Mumbai’s Sea Link and Asiatic Library Wore Light Like They’ve Never Worn It Before

Amplified by

Ministry of Road Transport and Highways

From Risky to Safe: Sadak Suraksha Abhiyan Makes India’s Roads Secure Nationwide

Recent Stories

The Logical Indian’s New ‘Explain It To Me’ Series Puts The Context Back Into The Conversation

Govt. Tightens SIM Rules: 9 Connections Per Person, 6 in J&K, Assam & Northeast, Takes Effect From August 24

Maharashtra FDA Chief Tukaram Mundhe Cracks Down: McDonald’s, and 12 Others Lose Licences Over Hygiene Violations

Contributors

Writer : 
Editor : 
Creatives :