The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has directed telecom operators across India to stop issuing new mobile connections from 24 August 2026 to individuals who have already reached the permitted SIM limit. Most subscribers can hold a maximum of nine mobile connections in their name, while the ceiling is six in Jammu and Kashmir, Assam and the North-Eastern states. Importantly, the numerical limit itself is not new; the latest direction strengthens how it will be enforced across telecom operators.
Companies will use the government’s centralised Digital Intelligence Platform (DIP) to identify subscribers who have reached the limit, making it harder to obtain extra connections through different operators or service areas. The government says the measure is intended to curb misuse of mobile connections and strengthen consumer protection and telecom security.
What Changes for Mobile Users From August 24?
According to a DoT circular dated 17 August, telecom service providers must introduce technical and organisational measures from 24 August to identify customers attempting to obtain connections beyond the prescribed limit. The circular says operators must inform such applicants that they have already reached the maximum number of connections permitted and therefore cannot be provided another mobile connection.
The cap applies to connections held across telecom operators and service areas, rather than separately for each company. This means, for example, that a person holding four connections with one operator, three with another and two with a third has already reached the nine-connection ceiling. Customers seeking a new SIM will also have to disclose existing mobile connections registered in their name, including those held with other telecom providers or in other service areas.
To strengthen verification, telecom companies will use the DoT’s Digital Intelligence Platform, which facilitates information-sharing on telecom resources and suspected misuse. From 23 August, a representative image of subscribers identified as having reached the prescribed connection limit will also be made available through DIP to assist operators with identification.
The government is also moving towards faster verification. Reports indicate that the initial mechanism will involve checks after subscriber details are processed, while operators are expected to move to real-time verification by 30 November 2026.
Why Is the Government Tightening SIM Verification?
The nine-connection ceiling is an existing government restriction, rather than a fresh cap being introduced on 24 August. The DoT had stated as far back as 2022 that an individual could generally be issued no more than nine mobile connections and had introduced mechanisms to identify people holding connections beyond the limit.
The latest enforcement comes amid wider government efforts to prevent mobile numbers from being misused for cybercrime, financial fraud and identity-related offences. In July, Minister of State for Communications and Rural Development Dr Chandra Sekhar Pemmasani told the Rajya Sabha that the DoT’s AI and big-data tool ASTR had helped disconnect more than 88 lakh suspicious mobile connections after they failed re-verification as of 15 July 2026. He also said that, based on citizen reports of suspected fraudulent communications through Sanchar Saathi, 50.90 lakh mobile connections had been disconnected.
The DoT has additionally used its Sanchar Saathi initiative to help citizens see which mobile connections are registered in their names and flag numbers they do not recognise or no longer require. This is particularly relevant for people whose identity documents may have been misused or who have old connections that were never formally closed.
The scale of the issue is significant. In Tamil Nadu alone, the DoT said around 2.12 lakh mobile connections had been disconnected after due re-verification since April 2026 because individuals possessed more than the prescribed limit of nine connections. The department has also been auditing customer records and examining connections associated with cybercrime and financial fraud.
For consumers, reaching the limit does not mean all their existing numbers will suddenly stop working on 24 August. Rather, the immediate change is that operators must prevent additional connections from being issued once the prescribed ceiling has been reached. Users with old, unused or unfamiliar numbers registered in their names can review them through Sanchar Saathi and take steps to report or remove connections they do not require.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
Stronger checks on mobile connections can be a meaningful step towards protecting citizens from identity theft, financial scams and other forms of digital fraud, particularly as mobile numbers increasingly serve as gateways to banking, payments and essential online services. At the same time, effective enforcement must remain transparent and convenient for genuine subscribers. People should have simple ways to check which numbers are linked to their identity, challenge incorrect records and close unauthorised connections without unnecessary hardship.
The government and telecom companies must also communicate clearly that 24 August marks stricter enforcement of an existing connection limit, rather than the introduction of an entirely new nine-SIM cap. Clear information can prevent confusion while encouraging citizens to take greater responsibility for their digital identities. As India strengthens its telecom security framework, safeguards against fraud should go hand in hand with accessible grievance mechanisms and respect for consumer rights.
Do you think stricter enforcement of SIM limits will help reduce digital fraud, or should the government introduce additional safeguards to protect legitimate users?













