1,334 Changes Made To NCERT Books; HRD Minister Says Syllabus To Be Cut To Half
June 7th, 2018 / 7:15 PM
Image Credits: Patrika
In its latest development, the HRD Minister, Prakash Javadekar said that the government has decided to cut the new NCERT syllabus in half.
According to Economic Times, Javadekar said, “There is a huge load of books and information, and students have no time. There is no time for physical education, value education and life skills. So, we decided to half the portion (syllabus). There is no need to teach them everything. Students should learn principles and rest of the knowledge they can gain later.”
This comes after NCERT had made at least 1,334 changes in its 182 textbooks, reported The Indian Express. These changes were a part of textbook reviews, the first ever since 2007.
Moreover, the ministry had reportedly received 37,000 suggestions from parents, teachers and educationists which led them to take the decision of cutting the syllabus by half.
573 changes have been made to Science books, whereas 316 in Social Science books and 163 changes in Sanskrit books. These changes for class VI to X include additions, corrections and data update.
It appears that this time more emphasis had been placed on nationalist leaders like Peshwa and Maratha general Bajirao Ballal, Jat king Suraj Mal, Rajput icons Maharana Pratap and Chhatrapati Shivaji, Lala Lajpat Rai, Vallabhbhai Patel, Sri Aurobindo and Swami Vivekananda. The Indian Express reports that these icons have either been given more space in the syllabus, or are introduced for the first time.
Moreover, the daily reported that six years after NCERT dropped several offensive political cartoons from its text books, it has toned down even further in its commentary on Indian politics and politicians.
These are the additions
With over 1300 changes made to NCERT textbooks, these are the major additions in the new syllabus.
- Notably, in the history textbook of Class 8, the term ‘Dalit’ has been replaced with “some sections of society”.
- More emphasis has been placed on spiritual leaders like Swami Vivekananda and Sri Aurobindo so much so that the revised book has an extra 250 words about the former.
- The earlier textbooks only talked of Bhagat Singh’s hanging, however, the revised one mentions that Rajguru and Sukhdev were hanged along with him.
- The Class 10 Geography textbook now describes Narmada Bachao Andolan and the Tehri Dam Andolan as environmental movements, and not social ones.
- Chapter 7 of Class 6 History textbook introduces philosophy: Vaishesika, Nyaya, Samkhya, Yoga, Purva Mimansa and Vedanta or Uttara Mimansa.
- The changes have placed a great amount of emphasis on Indian knowledge systems and traditions as well.
- A Class 7 textbook talks about the virtues of blood donation.
- The NCERT introduced the Paika rebellion of Odisha and the Khurda uprising of 1817 in the Class 8 History textbook.
- Maharana Pratap has also been introduced in the last chapter of the Class 7 History book
- Five Textbooks have seen the inclusion of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- Other government policies like that of Demonetisation have also found a place in the revised textbooks.
Read more at The Indian Express
Written by : Sromona Bhattacharyya
Edited by : Abhinav Joshi