AI Generated

Sonam Wangchuk Praises Devendra Mahto’s Team After Hunger Strike Forces Jharkhand Exam Action

Wangchuk hails students after Jharkhand cancels JSSC-CGL and TDPL exams amid intensifying recruitment protests.

Supported by

Climate activist and education reformer Sonam Wangchuk has congratulated Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahto and his team for their “commitment, honesty and conviction” after a 24-day agitation over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

His remarks came after Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the JSSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examination and all examinations conducted through TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) since 2014, along with a wider inquiry and recruitment reforms.

Mahto subsequently ended his 16-day hunger strike, calling the decision a “huge victory for Jharkhand”. While students have welcomed the government’s action, their demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe remains unresolved, with the state opting for a CID investigation instead.

Wangchuk also praised Soren for acknowledging and conceding key student demands, highlighting the role of sustained, peaceful protest and dialogue in resolving public grievances.

A Protest Forces Action

The Jharkhand student agitation began in late July amid allegations of irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC). Students under the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch sought cancellation of examinations they believed were compromised, an independent investigation and structural reforms to restore confidence in the recruitment process.

The movement intensified when Mahto began an indefinite hunger strike at Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium on August 2. His fast continued for 16 days, while other students also joined him. Reports said his health deteriorated during the protest, increasing pressure on the administration to find a solution. Earlier, protesters had demanded a CBI and Enforcement Directorate investigation into alleged irregularities and questioned the credibility of recruitment examinations.

The breakthrough came on August 17, when Soren announced that the JSSC-CGL examination and all examinations conducted through TDPL since 2014 would be cancelled. The government also said results and selections associated with the agency would be nullified and ordered a comprehensive inquiry into alleged recruitment irregularities.

Soren said investigations by the CID and Special Investigation Team had already produced “starting revelations” and that further details could not be disclosed while the probe was underway. The government also announced a recruitment-reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to examine the system and recommend measures to improve transparency.

Wangchuk’s Support For Students

Wangchuk’s praise comes after he had already intervened during Mahto’s hunger strike. Earlier this month, Wangchuk spoke with the student leader and urged him to protect his health while continuing the peaceful agitation. The interaction brought national attention to the Jharkhand movement, particularly because Wangchuk himself had recently used a hunger strike to raise concerns around students, examinations and institutional accountability.

Following the government’s announcement, Mahto ended his fast and thanked the Jharkhand government, Soren, students, parents, the media and others who supported the agitation. He also credited state ministers Irfan Ansari and Dipika Pandey Singh, along with MLA Jairam Mahato, for helping facilitate the discussions. Reports quoted Mahto as saying the students’ demands had been accepted, while also making clear that the broader struggle for education reforms would continue.

Wangchuk’s latest message recognised both sides of the development: the persistence of the students and the government’s decision to respond. His appreciation for Mahto’s “commitment, honesty and conviction” also places emphasis on the manner in which the agitation was conducted through sustained protest and dialogue rather than violence.

However, the resolution remains incomplete. Protesters have continued to seek a CBI investigation, while the state government has chosen to pursue the matter through the CID. Some students have therefore indicated that they will continue to press for wider reforms even after the hunger strike was called off.

The Logical Indian’s Perspective

The Jharkhand student agitation underlines why peaceful protest and meaningful dialogue remain essential in a democracy. For young people who spend years preparing for competitive examinations, allegations of irregularities are not merely administrative concerns; they can affect careers, finances, family expectations and their faith in merit-based opportunities. At the same time, cancelling examinations can also create uncertainty for candidates who may have cleared them honestly, making transparency and due process essential for everyone affected.

The government’s willingness to engage and act on major demands is therefore an important step, but lasting trust will depend on a credible investigation and reforms that prevent similar controversies from recurring. Wangchuk’s recognition of Mahto’s team, and his appreciation of Soren for listening to the students, offers a reminder that disagreement need not become confrontation.

Also read: Devendra Nath Mahato Ends Fast As Jharkhand Cancels JSSC-CGL Exams

#PoweredByYou We bring you news and stories that are worth your attention! Stories that are relevant, reliable, contextual and unbiased. If you read us, watch us, and like what we do, then show us some love! Good journalism is expensive to produce and we have come this far only with your support. Keep encouraging independent media organisations and independent journalists. We always want to remain answerable to you and not to anyone else.

Featured

Amplified by

Amazon Prime

For Two Nights in June, Mumbai’s Sea Link and Asiatic Library Wore Light Like They’ve Never Worn It Before

Amplified by

Ministry of Road Transport and Highways

From Risky to Safe: Sadak Suraksha Abhiyan Makes India’s Roads Secure Nationwide

Recent Stories

dentsu

Big Leadership Shake-Up: Dentsu India Names Saagar Sethi New Chief Business Officer

Meet Bihar’s Canal Man Who Spent 30 Years Bringing Water to Villages

trump

India’s Election System Caught Trump’s Attention, Now He Wants America To Take Note

Contributors

Writer : 
Editor : 
Creatives :