Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato ended his 16-day hunger strike in Ranchi on August 17 after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all examinations, results and selections conducted through TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) since 2014.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren said the decision was taken at a special Cabinet meeting following weeks of protests by job aspirants demanding accountability over alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations. The government has also promised recruitment reforms, including greater transparency and stronger safeguards against malpractice.
Mahato welcomed the decision and thanked students, parents, the media, police and the government, but said the movement for systemic reform was not over. “We need a system where the government guarantees that paper leaks and irregularities will never happen again in the future,” he said.
The development comes as a wider investigation into alleged examination irregularities continues, with the CID having arrested officials and employees linked to JPSC and TDPL. The government has also indicated that the 14th JPSC examination and backlog examinations will be cancelled, while protesters continue to seek a credible and transparent recruitment system.
A Major Win For Aspirants
The government’s announcement marks a significant turn in a student agitation that has lasted weeks in Ranchi. Soren said the Cabinet had decided to cancel “all examinations conducted by TDPL, the results published by TDPL, and the selection or participation of any candidates through TDPL”, along with all activities undertaken by the agency in this regard.
He said the decision followed consideration of the concerns raised by protesting students and was intended to bring the issue to a conclusion. Soren also acknowledged that an existing standard operating procedure (SOP) for conducting examinations should have prevented the alleged irregularities, saying, “if it had been followed, these irregularities would not have occurred”.
The government has promised further improvements based on suggestions from students, teachers, parents and other stakeholders, including a time-bound examination calendar, technology-secured tests, timely publication of answer keys and OMR sheets, and clearer accountability at different stages of recruitment.
Mahato, meanwhile, said students would cooperate with the government’s investigation and reform process, while warning that cancellation alone would not restore confidence.
“While our demands have been met, we cannot say we are fully satisfied yet, as a long battle still lies ahead,” he said. He also stressed that the focus must now be on ensuring that future candidates do not face paper leaks or similar irregularities.
From Exam Dispute To Reform
The agitation gained momentum following allegations of irregularities in the 14th JPSC Combined Civil Services Preliminary Examination and other recruitment tests. Students demanded cancellation of disputed examinations, an independent investigation and structural changes to the recruitment system.
Mahato launched his hunger strike at Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in early August, after students had maintained a prolonged protest over the alleged lapses. The movement later intensified, including a march towards the Jharkhand Assembly on August 10, when protesters and police clashed after barricades were breached.
Meanwhile, the controversy moved into the investigative sphere. The Jharkhand CID arrested JPSC Deputy Controller of Examinations Shweta Gupta, TDPL director Ramveer Singh and other individuals in connection with alleged irregularities, with the number of arrests later increasing as the probe continued.
The latest government decision therefore goes beyond the cancellation of one examination: it places the wider role of outsourced examination agencies under scrutiny.
Soren has also said a portal will allow students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions on recruitment reforms, while state minister Dipika Pandey Singh said the government would cancel the 14th JPSC and backlog examinations and write to the Enforcement Directorate regarding alleged financial irregularities.
For aspirants, however, the cancellations also create uncertainty over candidates who had already cleared examinations or entered government service through affected recruitment processes, making clarity on the government’s formal notifications and next steps crucial.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
The end of Mahato’s hunger strike is an important reminder that peaceful, sustained civic participation can push institutions to confront grievances that directly affect people’s futures. At the same time, an examination cancellation should not be treated as the final destination. For thousands of young people who spend years preparing for government jobs, a recruitment examination is not merely a test; it represents time, money, family expectations and the hope of a stable livelihood.
Any proven malpractice must therefore be investigated fairly, those responsible must face due process, and genuine candidates must not be left carrying the cost of failures within the system. The government’s promise of transparency, stronger examination safeguards and reform must now translate into clear timelines, publicly accessible information and a recruitment process that candidates can trust. Equally, student movements are strongest when they remain peaceful, inclusive and focused on accountability rather than confrontation.
Also read: Tamil Nadu CM Vijay Waives Farm Loans Up To ₹75,000, Expands Relief For Farmers Across The State












