Marriages in India is an expensive affair, where lakhs and crores are spent to make the occasion grand. One young couple has taken stock of the situation around them and has chosen to sacrifice the extravagance. A young couple from Amravati decided to sacrifice all this after being moved by the plight of farmers, who were committing suicide reported Times of India. There are many other things the couple did that will make everyone turn their heads and take notice.
How much we spend on marriages?
According to Times of India, Abhay Deware and Priti Kumbhare decided to change the trend of marriages in India, a country where 1 Lakh crore is being spent on marriage on every year. It is worthwhile noting that 16 lakh crore is the total budget of India. Last Sunday, when they tied the nuptial knot at Abhiyanta Bhavan in Amravati, it was not a ceremony. They used the money they saved for their marriage for the purpose of:
1. The couple donated Rs 20,000 each to 10 farmers’ families where their sole bread earners committed suicide due to mounting debts and successive crop failures.
2. They provided books of competitive examinations worth Rs 52,000 to five libraries in Amravati, including at their native village Umbarda Bazaar in Karanja Lad.
3. They kept their menu for the marriage very simple.
4. They had inspirational and informative speeches made to be given by notable personalities and activists.
Why expenditures on marriage should be shunned?
1. Marriages are one of the reasons why families get indebted because of borrowing.
2. Marriages and the money involved have cost the lives of many farmers due to their indebtedness.
It is on these lines that The Logical Indian applauds this young couple for setting an example. It is true that Indians spend a lot of money on marriages even though we know that there are many who cannot afford their next meal. Let us take inspiration from this couple and spread the word where we make our marriages more compassionate and humble keeping in mind the distress faced by many of our fellow citizens.
Sports is education too
Give sports its due importance.