This Short Article Explains Everything About Net Neutrality & How You Can Save The Internet
April 11th, 2015 / 11:42 AM
What is Net Neutrality?
- Net neutrality is the principle that Internet Service Providers (ISPs/Telcos) and government should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, website, mobile application or mode of communication. Airtel, Reliance, Tata Docomo are few of the ISPs in India.
- In the United States as well, telecom companies attempted but they failed due to massive public response against it! Now, breach of net neutrality is illegal in the USA.
- Ex- If we use electricity, companies charge us acc. to amount of usage not how and which appliance we use. Similarly, when it comes to Internet,companies can charge acc. to amount of usage & speed not acc. to which websites we visit.
Why is the Sudden Buzz about Net Neutrality in India?
- Telecom companies have lobbied to TRAI and is trying to bring regulations into the usage of Internet.
- If this happens in India, your ISPs will decide which website or app you will be given access to and how much you’ll have to pay for accessing each website/app.
- If you are an app publisher or a website owner, you’ll have to pay to each ISPs to make your app/website visible to the people on their network.
- Ex: In an Airtel network, Airtel may ‘charge’ you to use WhatsApp while Hike Messenger will be free to use since Hike is an Airtel product.
How Can You Help?
- TRAI has posed 20 questions regarding Net Neutrality seeking answers from public and telcos based on which TRAI will take it’s decision. The questions can be found on pages 113 to 116 of the official consultation paper at TRAI Consultation.
The answers can be sent in an email to [email protected] by 24th April, 2015. Sample Answers are here.
Note: Do not copy/paste the answers as it might be marked as spam. If possible use it as a reference and frame your own answers.
- Sign this petition.
- Share/Tweet this link with #IndiaWantsNetNeutrality to spread awareness and make it a trending topic, so it gets the attention of everyone.
Edited by :