[Watch] 12 Life Lessons From A Man Who's Seen 12000 Deaths
For many Hindus, Kashi (Varanasi) is considered the holiest place on the earth. Many believe that if you breathe your last in Kashi, then you will attain ‘Kashi labh’ — moksh “release from the cycle of rebirth caused by the law of karma”.
For a span of last 44 years, Bhairav Nath Shukla has been the manager of Kashi Labh Mukti Bhawan, one of the guesthouses in Kashi where people check in to die. For over four decades, he has seen people arriving at his guesthouse during their final days and wait for days. So far, Mr. Shukla has witnessed over 12,000 deaths.
He has 12 life lessons to share with us
- Resolve all conflicts before you go
- Simplicity is the truth of life
- Filter out people’s bad traits
- Be willing to seek help from others
- Find beauty in simple things
- Acceptance is liberation
- Accepting everyone as the same makes service easier
- If/When you find your purpose, do something about it
- Habits become values
- Choose what you want to learn
- You don’t break ties with people; you break ties with the thought they produce
- 10 percent of what you earn should be kept aside for dharma — doing good for others