NEW DELHI: Hundreds of people gathered at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar on Friday, August 21, to demand a review of India’s caste-based reservation system, despite Delhi Police repeatedly stating that no permission had been granted for a demonstration at the protest site.
The gathering was organised following a mobilisation call by the Instagram-based Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA), which has built a sizeable online following and has sought to take the reservation debate from social media to the streets.
Police and central forces were deployed at Jantar Mantar and barricades were erected as the crowd gathered. Protesters, many carrying banners, posters and saffron flags, called for reservation and government assistance to be based more on economic circumstances rather than caste, while some also demanded a stronger ‘creamy layer’ principle, merit-based admissions and recruitment, and changes to caste-related requirements in official forms.
The standoff followed a clarification from Delhi Police on August 20 that claims of permission for a Jantar Mantar protest were “false and misleading”, with the force saying prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS were in force in New Delhi and assemblies of five or more people were prohibited.
Police later issued an NOC allowing a peaceful RHA gathering of up to 500 people at Ramlila Ground until 4 pm, but protesters continued gathering at Jantar Mantar instead. By Friday evening, more than 50 protesters had reportedly been detained as authorities moved to clear the unauthorised gathering.
The protest also comes amid a wider debate over caste discrimination in higher education, after the Centre told the Supreme Court on August 20 that the controversial 2026 UGC equity regulations were under reconsideration.
Protesters Defy Venue Change
The immediate flashpoint on Friday was not only the reservation policy itself but also where the protesters could legally assemble. Small groups began reaching Jantar Mantar earlier in the day, and the gathering grew as more participants arrived from different parts of the country.
Media reported that protesters from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Rajasthan and other states joined the demonstration, with most calling for the removal of reservation and some advocating an economic basis for affirmative action. Police responded by increasing security around the protest venue, deploying personnel from the Delhi Police and paramilitary forces and installing barricades to prevent the situation from disrupting public order.
The protesters’ stated demands went beyond simply calling for the abolition of quotas. Participants told media reporters that economic circumstances should be considered when deciding who needs government assistance, including support related to education, coaching and other needs.
A key demand was also the introduction or strengthening of a creamy-layer principle so that relatively better-off sections of beneficiary communities do not continue to receive the same benefits as those facing greater disadvantage.
Other demands reported from the mobilisation included merit-based admissions and recruitment, removal of caste details from certain forms and processes, and a ‘One Nation, One Identity’ approach. The campaign has also proposed that government support take into account factors such as economic status, disability, orphanhood or being the child of a martyr, irrespective of caste or religion.
The police, however, maintained that the Jantar Mantar gathering had not been authorised. On August 20, Delhi Police said: “Various videos are circulating regarding the alleged grant of permission for a protest on the issue of reservation reforms at Jantar Mantar on 21 August, which is false and misleading.”
The force further clarified that “no permission has been granted to anyone to hold a protest at Jantar Mantar on August 21” and warned people against amplifying or forwarding unverified claims.
At the same time, the authorities did not completely bar the organisers from holding a peaceful demonstration. The Central District Deputy Commissioner of Police issued an NOC for the RHA to hold a protest at Ramlila Ground, allowing a maximum of 500 participants until 4 pm.
The NOC stated that there was no objection from a law-and-order perspective, subject to the organisers following police instructions, and specified that no procession or prolonged stay would be permitted. Protesters nevertheless insisted on Jantar Mantar. An RHA activist wrote on X that they had sought permission for Jantar Mantar and would continue to sit there, reflecting the central disagreement between the organisers and police over the venue.
From Online Campaign To Street Protest
The Jantar Mantar mobilisation represents a significant shift for the Reservation Hatao Andolan, which has largely operated through social media. The campaign has used Instagram to build support, publish explainers and announce protest plans before attempting to translate that digital following into a physical movement. ThePrint described the campaign as an Instagram-based initiative that subsequently appealed to followers to join a physical demonstration, while reports have put its Instagram following at around 5.6 million.
The campaign has also been influenced by the recent success of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) in mobilising young people through social media and taking education-related grievances to Jantar Mantar. The RHA’s mobilisation comes after the CJP’s protests drew national attention and showed how online communities can quickly translate digital engagement into physical demonstrations. The Week described RHA as a viral movement using mobilisation tactics similar to those associated with CJP.
NEET aspirant Harsh Dubey has emerged as one of the prominent voices associated with the reservation-reform campaign. In an interview with Newslaundry earlier this month, Dubey said he was not opposed to reservation in principle but wanted reforms to the system.
He also said he planned to protest at Jantar Mantar from August 21 and sought to mobilise people who had supported his views online. The distinction is significant because the movement’s public messaging contains both calls for major changes to, and outright opposition to, caste-based reservation. Different participants have therefore articulated somewhat different priorities, ranging from complete removal of quotas to economic criteria, creamy-layer provisions and broader policy reform.
The movement’s own public material describes its participation as peaceful and lawful and asks supporters to avoid provocation, obstruction, property damage and unlawful activity. Yet the decision of protesters to remain at Jantar Mantar despite the police-approved alternative venue created a direct law-and-order challenge. Social-media videos from the site showed protesters continuing to gather and, in some instances, resisting the proposed shift to Ramlila Ground. The Week reported that videos of protesters at Jantar Mantar circulated online, including visuals of participants chanting the Hanuman Chalisa.
By Friday evening, police had detained more than 50 people during efforts to clear the gathering. The detentions add a fresh dimension to an already sensitive debate: how authorities should balance the right to peaceful expression with restrictions imposed to maintain public order, particularly when a gathering takes place at a venue where permission has explicitly been denied.
Reservation Debate Meets UGC Row
The protest is unfolding against the backdrop of another contentious debate over caste and discrimination in India’s higher education system. On August 20, just a day before the Jantar Mantar gathering, the Centre told the Supreme Court that the University Grants Commission’s Promotion of Equity in Higher Education Institutions Regulations, 2026 were under reconsideration. The regulations were framed to strengthen mechanisms for preventing discrimination in colleges and universities, including caste-based discrimination.
The Supreme Court had earlier kept the regulations in abeyance after concerns were raised about provisions that could be vague or capable of misuse. During Thursday’s hearing, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told a bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana that the regulations were “under reconsideration”. The court subsequently gave the process further time, with the UGC directed to file a comprehensive counter affidavit within four weeks and petitioners allowed two weeks thereafter to respond.
The development has become part of the wider political and social argument surrounding the RHA mobilisation. Protesters have opposed aspects of the UGC framework and have linked their concerns about higher-education regulations with their broader demand for changes to caste-based policies.
Some participants have also raised objections to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and other caste-related safeguards, although these positions should not be treated as a single, universally adopted demand of every person attending the protest.
The other side of the debate argues that caste cannot simply be replaced with income as the sole measure of disadvantage. Supporters of affirmative action point to the continuing impact of caste discrimination and social exclusion in education, employment and public life, arguing that economic hardship and caste-based disadvantage are distinct forms of inequality.
The UGC regulations themselves were designed around the need to address discrimination in higher educational institutions, making the government’s decision to reconsider them significant for students and institutions dealing with complaints of caste-based exclusion.
That distinction is crucial to understanding why the reservation debate remains so polarised. For protesters, the question is increasingly framed around fairness, merit and whether benefits should reach economically disadvantaged people irrespective of caste.
For supporters of affirmative action, the concern is that an exclusively economic approach could overlook structural discrimination and historical exclusion that continue even when two individuals have similar incomes.
The events at Jantar Mantar therefore represent more than a disagreement over a protest venue. They reflect an increasingly visible generational and political argument over what fairness should mean in contemporary India whether equality is best achieved by treating everyone according to the same economic criteria, or by recognising that different communities continue to face different forms of social disadvantage.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
The right to peaceful protest is an important part of a democratic society, just as maintaining public order and respecting lawful restrictions are essential to ensuring that democratic spaces remain safe for everyone. The Jantar Mantar episode shows why both principles need to coexist.
Protesters have every right to question policies, challenge reservation frameworks and demand reform, but those demands are most likely to create meaningful change when expressed peacefully, factually and with respect for communities who may experience reservation not as a privilege but as a constitutional response to generations of exclusion. At the same time, authorities must exercise restraint and transparency when managing demonstrations, ensuring that restrictions are proportionate and that detention or force is used only when necessary and lawful.
Also read: Ahmedabad’s 11,000+ Eateries Face Kitchen CCTV Push Amid Food-Safety Crackdown











