News

Video: A Lake In Bengaluru Is So Polluted, It Caught A Fire

The Logical Indian

October 10th, 2015

SHARES
The lake so polluted that it caught on fire

A lake in India is so polluted, it caught on fire.

Posted by Quartz on Friday, October 9, 2015
Image Source: bangaloremirror

This is actually an incredibly rare and very unnatural phenomenon. It’s a lake in Bengaluru that’s so toxic that it froths over and even bursts into flames.  Located in the bustling hi-tech hub of Bengaluru, the 36 kilometre Bellandur Lake is the largest — and most polluted — one in the city.

The foam is a result of the toxic water which contains a high content of ammonia and phosphate and very low dissolved oxygen. This has been put down to decades worth of untreated chemical waste being pumped into it. In fact, it’s so toxic that it occasionally catches on fire due to the oil, grease, and detergents that are in it.

In June, the LA Times said Bangalore was “choking from illegal construction, unregulated dumping, official mismanagement and mounting waste.”

You can read more at news.com.au

Thank you!

Please also ensure that change begins at home by
pledging to practise/teach gender sensitivity

Share your thoughts

Related post

Loading...