Uttar Pradesh: 100 Children Fall Ill In After Consuming Biscuits At A Govt Residential School
November 2nd, 2017
At least 100 students in Bhadohi, Uttar Pradesh, were taken ill after they had consumed biscuits that the school had given them as snacks on 1 November, reported Hindustan Times.
They were all students of Deendayal residential school in Raya area of the district. The school was run by the social welfare department.
The children had complained of vomiting and stomach ache, and then they were rushed to the nearest hospital.
The Logical Indian spoke to the Chief Medical Officer, Satish Singh and he said, “45 children were in serious condition and admitted to the hospital, while the remaining 55 were kept under observation. Most of them belonged to the age group of 10-14 years.”
He added, “This is an unfortunate incident, and proper investigation would be carried out; complaints have already been filed.”
Students falling ill after consuming food provided by the government is not a new thing that we are getting to know of. Similar incidents have occurred in Tamil Nadu where almost 60 students of a government school in Athiyur, Sathyamangalam Taluk, Erode, Tamil Nadu, were admitted to hospital when they fell ill after eating rice and sambhar for lunch.They said they had found a dead lizard in the sambhar and flies in the rice.
Government officials have not been very particular in doing their duty as far as the mid-day meal scheme is concerned. Recently, a police investigation in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh found out that students of a certain government school were not given meals for the last three years and 160 kg of mid-day meal (MDM) ration were seized that were being fed to cows at a dairy, nearby.
In May this year, children at a government school in Faridabad, Haryana, found a small snake their food.
The Logical Indian community condemns the entire episode and urges the authority to ensure that proper investigation is carried out and those guilty should get the necessary punishment. Carelessness from authorities is putting our children at risks.