Poisonous Prasadam: Teenager Dead, At Least 20 Others Hospitalised In Karnataka
The Logical Indian Crew Karnataka
May 23rd, 2019 / 6:55 PM
Image Credit: tamilmalarnews (Representational Image)
A 16-year-old boy died and at least 20 others were hospitalised after consuming prasadam at a temple in Karnataka’s Tumakuru district. Devotees were served the prasadam at the Veerabhadreshwara Swamy temple in Nidagal village of Pavagada taluk.
The deceased boy has been identified as Veerabhadra and hails from Sira taluk in the district. Failing to respond to the treatment, he died on May 22, two days after he consumed the prasadam.
Contaminated Water Is A Possible Reason
Details of the incident were collected by Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy, who, following the incident, spoke to K Rakesh Kumar, Deputy Commissioner. Sources in the CM’s office said that the tragedy was caused by contaminated water, The News Minute reported.
DC Rakesh Kumar has been directed by the CM to carry out an inspection after he visits the spot. Further, he has sought the report that the District Health Officer submitted.
District officials said that scores of devotees from Bengaluru and various taluks in the district came to attend a special ceremony that was held at the Tumakuru temple. It was here that they consumed the prasadam.
After returning home, over 20 of them began vomiting and had to be admitted to the taluk hospital the next day and several of them are now undergoing treatment.
The Logical Indian Take
This is not the first incident of people dying or falling sick after consuming poisonous temple food.
In December 2018, in a temple at Chamrajnagar district of Karnataka, 17 people died and scores were hospitalised after consuming toxic temple food offering -‘prasadam’. In this case, the prasadam was poisoned over petty rivalry among two groups.
In the larger discourse around Hindu pride and Hindutva, caring about human lives often misses a spot. Cow vigilantes around the country are ready to lynch whoever hurts their pride, however, not much is done to ensure that the temple premise is clean and prasadam is safe to consume.
The Logical Indian urges authorities to take strict action against those whose carelessness cost the boy his life.
Written by : Sumanti Sen
Edited by : Shweta Kothari