Assam NRC List: 19 Lakh Including Kargil War Veteran Excluded
Almost two million people have been excluded from the final updated National Register of Citizens list of Assam.
The much-awaited list that came out on Saturday has almost half of the 40 lakh people excluded in the final draft published last year. But the list still doesn’t include the name of Mohammad Sanaullah, the retired Indian Army officer who made headlines after he was declared a foreigner and sent to detention camps.
Out of the total 3.3 crore applicants, 3.11 crore people have been found eligible for their names to be included in the NRC list. One can check their names in the National Register of Citizens from here or can personally visit the NRC Seva Kendras or Office of Circle Officer or Office of the Deputy Commissioner.
What Next For 19 Lakh Exclude?
The fate of 19 lakh people who are left out of the list, now lies in the Foreigner’s Tribunals where each of them can appeal within 120 days. The Centre has assured that those excluded will not be declared as foreigners until their pleas are heard in the tribunals.
To listen to their pleas, the state government will set up 200 tribunals in addition to the 100 already functioning. If the applicants’ names are excluded, they can go to the High Court and Supreme Court against the tribunal’s decision.
March 25, 1971, is the cut-off date set for the exclusion. Anyone who was born in Assam before this date, or whose parents were born in Assam before it and have valid documentary proof to claim it will be included in the list. For those who fail to provide documentary evidence, will be excluded from NRC.
Kargil War Veteran Excluded
Mohammad Sanaullah who won President’s medal for his service to the nation during the Kargil war was declared a foreigner by the Foreigners Tribunal, Kamrup, following a case registered in 2008 after his name was listed as a “D” (doubtful) voter.
His appeal against the foreign tribunal’s order is still pending in the Gauhati High Court. If Sanaullah’s name gets excluded, then his children will also cease to be an Indian citizen. As per the NRC rules name of children of those who are excluded cannot be included in the final NRC list
‘We Are Not Interested In NRC Any More’
BJP’s Northeast Incahrge and Assam minister Himanta Biswa Sarma during an interaction with the media personnel said that he is not satisfied with the NRC list and that both the state and central government will be looking into the matter.
“We have lost hope in the present form of the NRC right after the draft. When so many genuine Indians are out, then how can you claim that this document is a red-letter for the Assamese society. In districts bordering Bangladesh, like South Salmara and Dhubri, the rate of exclusion is the lowest and in Bhumiputra district, it’s high. How it can be? We are not interested in this NRC anymore,” Sarma said while speaking to the local media.
He further said that the Centre and the state could be looking at other methods to drive out migrants as the NRC has not made up with the wishes and aspirations of the local people.
Meanwhile, Delhi BJP chief Manoj Tiwari has said that NRC is needed in Delhi too as there are many illegal migrants in the national capital.
BJP Delhi Chief Manoj Tiwari: National Register of Citizens (NRC) is needed in Delhi as situation is becoming dangerous. Illegal immigrants who have settled here are the most dangerous, we will implement NRC here as well. pic.twitter.com/3T2kEogFP5
— ANI (@ANI) August 31, 2019
Security Beefed Up Across The State
Out of 2500 National Seva Kendras where the citizens can check their names, 1200 are deemed vulnerable, reported India Today.
The state government had already imposed section 144 in the vulnerable areas in the state including capital Guwahati on Friday night. Assam Director General of Police on Friday had said that 167 companies of CAPF already deployed. Additionally, 51 Central Armed Police Forces companies are also deployed.