Odisha: One Dead, Five Hospitalised After Consuming Food At Government-Run School

The Logical Indian Crew Odisha

March 25th, 2019 / 1:02 PM

Minor Dead School Food

Image Credit: Patrika (Representational Image)

After consuming hostel meal of a government-run school in Gajapati district of Odisha, a minor student died and five others fell ill. The incident was confirmed by police officials on Sunday, March 24. The school falls under the jurisdiction of Garabandha police station.


The incident

The residential primary school inmates in a village, a few hours after having dinner on March 23, Saturday, complained about nausea, stomach ache and vomiting. According to District Education Officer (DEO), PK Nag, two minor girls showing symptoms of food poisoning were taken immediately to a nearby local hospital.

While undergoing treatment, Tuni Rohit, a student of class IV, died in the early hours of March 24. Five other students have been admitted to the hospitals and are still undergoing treatment.

“The school warden called me at around 3 AM in the night and informed me about my daughter’s condition. She was vomiting and was suffering from high fever,” the father of the deceased student, Biswanatha Sabara said.

Parlakhemundi District Welfare Officer Santosh Rath said that a probe has been launched into the incident. The body of the deceased girl is being examined, and action will be taken as soon as the report comes.

Meanwhile, Umakant Choudhury, who is the school’s Headmaster, and the teacher-in-charge Anita Nayak, have been placed under suspension by the district administration.


Similar incidents

In recent times, school meals resulting in students falling ill has become quite common.

This year itself, 25 students of a government school in Bengaluru had to be hospitalized as they complained of stomach ache and vomiting after eating mid-day meal.

In December 2018, a boy found a dead lizard in the food served under mid-day meal programme. Almost 90 students from Gaddikeri government high school in Karnataka were admitted to a government hospital after consuming the food.

Students are sent to schools by their parents with the hope of providing them with a healthy environment and lifestyle. In a place where students should feel safe, it is unfortunate to see the negligence on the part of school authorities.


Also Read: Bengaluru: Over 20 Students Fall Sick After Eating Mid-day Meal At Government School


Contributors

Written by : Sumanti Sen

Edited by : Poorbita Bagchi

Share your thoughts..

Related Stories

NaMo TV EC

BJP Finally Admits ‘Namo TV’ Is Run By Its IT Cell; Namo TV To Run As Of Now

Poisonous Alcohol Dead Village

[Video] UP: “Even 10-Yr-Olds Here Drink Liquor” 120 Men Dead After Consuming Hooch, Families Share Their Ordeals

Temple Prasad Karnataka

Karnataka Temple ‘Prasadam’ Tragedy: Death Toll Rises To 14, Over 90 Hospitalised

Chandra Sekhar Kundu

To Stop Food Wastage, This School Teacher From Asansol Distributes Excess Food Among The Needy

H1N1 Maharashtra

Maharashtra: H1N1 Claims 75 Lives In Two Weeks; 6,000 Others Hospitalised Due To Fever

Bihar: 68 Fell Sick After Consuming Food In Hostel Run By Watchman As Headmaster Missing For Two Years

Latest on The Logical Indian

News

Sri Lankan Govt Says National Thowheeth Jama’ath Behind Deadly Bomb Blasts Which Claimed 290 Lives

News

TN: Stampede At Temple Near Tiruchirapalli Kills 7, Injures 12 Others

Awareness

Mahagathbandhan Has Been Formed Because They Fear To Fight Us Says BJP, Which Has Nearly 20 Alliances Itself

News

Aadhaar Data Of Over 2 Crore Punjab Residents Found On Seized Hard Disks

Get Inspired

Learning Is Fun: Underprivileged Kids Have A Spectacular Day Out Playing ‘Maths Games’

My Story

My Story: “Until My Last Breath, This Show Will Go On,” Says Anchor Of Most Loved Kannada Quiz Show

x

Stories that deserve attention, delivered to your inbox!

Handpicked, newsworthy stories which deserve the attention of a rational generation.