Probe On Justice Loya’s Death Very Important: 32 Civil Servants Write To Chief Justice Of India
December 4th, 2017 / 12:36 PM
Courtesy: The Wire
Thirty-two signatories, including retired officials of the Government of India, appealed to the Chief Justice of India and Chief Justice of Bombay High Court to order a high-level probe on the death of Judge Brijgopal Harkishan Loya, who was investigating the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case.
The signatories attached the appeal made by former Navy Chief Admiral (Retd.) L. Ramdas. The Navy demanded a detailed investigation on the former Central Bureau Of Investigation’s judge’s suspicious death. He stated that the “inaction” following the revelations made by his family is “surprising”. The letter is addressed to Chief Justice of India, Dipak Misra and Chief Justice of Bombay, Justice Manjula Chellur.
The signatories also cited requests made by retired Bombay High Court judge BH Marlapalle and former Delhi High Court Chief Justice AP Shah. The Latur Bar Association, Delhi’s Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and the Communist Party of India (Marxists) also demanded a probe into the issue.
According to The Wire, the letter stated,
“We, the undersigned retired civil servants, would like to place on record our support for the request made by Admiral (Retd.) L. Ramdas to institute a “high-level judicial inquiry” into this matter and urge you to take appropriate action for all the reasons mentioned in his representation.”
The admiral in the letter said “The silence of the two judges who apparently persuaded the late Judge Loya to travel to Nagpur, and accompanied him, is disturbing, to say the least.” He further added, “A judicial probe at this point, at least to respond to the queries raised by the family, and to uphold the image of the judiciary in the eyes of the people of India, is absolutely necessary.”
Loya was the special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) judge presiding over the trail of BJP top chief Amit Shah and several top officers in the Gujarat police for the allegedly fake encounter of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and his wife Kauser Bi in 2005.
Shah was arrested by the CBI in July 2010 in connection with the alleged staged shooting. In 2014, he was discharged by the Mumbai special CBI court.
Apart from raising questions about Loya’s death, his sister Anuradha Biyani claimed that Justice Mohit Shah, the then Chief Justice of Bombay High Court had offered Loya a bribe of Rs 100 crore in return for a favourable judgement.
- S.P. Ambrose, IAS (Retd.), former Additional Secretary, Ministry of Shipping and Transport, GoI
- Ishrat Aziz, IFS (Retd.), former Ambassador to Brazil
- G. Balagopal, IAS (Retd.), former Resident Representative, UNICEF, North Korea
- Sundar Burra, IAS (Retd.), former Secretary, Government of Maharashtra
- Kalyani Chaudhuri, IAS (Retd.), former Additional Chief Secretary, Government of West Bengal
- Vibha Puri Das, IAS (Retd.), former Secretary, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, GoI
- Keshav Desiraju, IAS (Retd.), former Health Secretary, GoI
- M.G. Devasahayam, IAS (Retd.), former Secretary to Government of Haryana
- Sushil Dubey, IFS (Retd.), former Ambassador to Sweden
- K.P.Fabian, IFS (Retd.), former Ambassador to Italy
- Meena Gupta, IAS (Retd.), former Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forests, GoI
- Deepa Hari, IRS (Resigned)
- Dr Sajjad Hassan, IAS (Retd.), former Commissioner (Planning), Govt. of Manipur
- K. John Koshy, IAS (Retd.), former State Chief Information Commissioner, West Bengal
- Ajai Kumar, Indian Forest Service (Resigned), former Director, Ministry of Agriculture, GoI
- Arun Kumar, IAS (Retd.), former Chairman, National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
- Harsh Mander, IAS (Retd.), Government of Madhya Pradesh
- Aditi Mehta, IAS (Retd.), former Additional Chief Secretary, Government of Rajasthan
- Sunil Mitra, IAS (Retd.), former Secretary, Ministry of Finance, GoI
- Deb Mukharji, IFS (Retd.), former Ambassador to Nepal
- Anup Mukerji, IAS (Retd.), former Chief Secretary, Government of Bihar
- Alok Perti, IAS (Retd.) former Secretary, Ministry of Coal, GoI
- N.K. Raghupathy, IAS (Retd.), former Chairman, Staff Selection Commission, GoI
- Aruna Roy, IAS (Resigned)
- Manab Roy, IAS (Retd.), former Additional Chief Secretary, Government of West Bengal
- Umrao Salodia, IAS (Retd.), former Chairman, Rajasthan State Road Transport Corporation, Government of Rajasthan
- Deepak Sanan, IAS (Retd.), former Principal Adviser (AR) to the Chief Minister of the Government of Himachal Pradesh
- E.A.S. Sarma, IAS, (Retd.), former Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, GoI
- Dr N.C.Saxena, IAS (Retd.), former Secretary, Planning Commission, GoI
- Ardhendu Sen, IAS (Retd.), former Chief Secretary, Government of West Bengal
- Dr Raju Sharma, IAS (Retd.), former Member, Board of Revenue, Government of Uttar Pradesh
- Jawhar Sircar, IAS (Retd.), former Secretary, Ministry of Culture, GoI, and CEO, Prasar Bharati
Written by : Poorbita Bagchi
Edited by :