Chandrayaan 2 Moon Landing: India Is With You, PM Modi Tells ISRO Chief After Loss Of Contact With Vikram Lander

The Logical Indian Crew India

September 7th, 2019 / 12:17 PM

isro-chandrayaan-vikram

Image Credits: Hindustan Times

A wave of disappointment gripped the ISRO’s command centre as the contact with the Vikram lander was lost at an altitude of 2.1 km after successful descent. PM Modi who was in Bengaluru to witness the historic moment consoled the ISRO chief K Sivan who broke down in his arms  while the PM was about to leave.

PM Modi while addressing the ISRO scientists later said, “Friends, I could feel what you were going through a few hours back, your eyes were conveying a lot. You live for India’s honour, I salute you. For the last few hours, the entire nation was worried. Everyone stands in solidarity with our scientists. We are proud of our space program. We will rise to the occasion and reach even newer heights of success. To our scientists I want to say- India is with you. You are exceptional professionals who have made an incredible contribution to national progress.”

Even though the contact is lost, the Chandrayaan orbiter is still intact and orbiting the moon. The space agency is still making efforts to analyse the data and find out the reasons behind the communication loss.

In a statement, ISRO chief K Sivan said that the Vikram lander lost contact with the ISRO Centre about 13 minutes after it began its descent. It was a little over two kilometres away from the moon’s surface. The Lander failed to bring down its speed from around 6,048 km per hour to 7 km per hour to make a soft-landing.

Once the command centre stopped receiving signals from the Lander, Sivan consulted with fellow scientists. He confirmed the loss of communication and said the data was being analysed.

According to an NDTV report, “Only 5 per cent of the mission has been lost – Vikram the lander and Pragyan the rover – while the remaining 95 per cent – that is the Chandrayaan 2 orbiter – is orbiting the moon successfully,” an official of the Indian Space Research Organisation or ISRO told news agency IANS.

Nation Stands With ISRO

As the nation witnessed historic feat being just missed, consolations pour in on Twitter. Bollywood celebrities, academicians, historians, and several others stood in solidarity with the ISRO.

https://twitter.com/YouTubeIndia/status/1170208287964295168

Also Read: ‘People Now Recognise Graphic Designing As Career’: India’s First Woman Medalist At World Skills Event


Contributors

Written by : Shubhendu Deshmukh

Edited by : Shweta Kothari

Related Stories

Chennai engineer spots Vikram debris

Chennai Engineer Helps NASA Spot Vikram Lander Debris

10 Days Remaining! ISRO’s Best Efforts To Restore Communication With Vikram Lander Continue

vikram-lander-isro

Chandrayaan 2 100% Successful, Says Scientist As ISRO Tries To Re-Establish Contact With Vikram Lander

Science India IIT Moon

India’s Meteoric Leap In Science: From Establishing IITs To Landing On Moon

Second Moon Mission

India’s Second Moon Mission: Women And Men Who Made Chandrayaan-2 Possible

All You Need To Know About Successful Launch Of Chandrayaan-2, India’s Second Moon Mission

Latest on The Logical Indian

News

Unnao Becomes UP’s Rape Capital: 86 Rape Cases, 185 Sexual Assaults In 2019

News

Wife Of Cop Killed In Bulandshahr: ‘It Was Planned Lynching, Colleagues Refused To Take Case Ahead’

News

Govt Data: Almost 70% Of Education Loans Given To General Category Students

Sports

India Bags 165 Medals At South Asian Games, Sits Top On Points Table

World Affairs

China’s Crumbling Banking Sector: Another Bank Falters, Around 500 Banks At Potential Risk

News

India Fifth Most Vulnerable Country To Climate Change, Recorded Highest Fatalities In 2018

x

Stories that deserve attention, delivered to your inbox!

Handpicked, newsworthy stories which deserve the attention of a rational generation.