Image Courtesy: digit
On a two-day visit to India, the CEO of search giant Google, Sundar Pichai said that by 2016 India will have more number of android users than US. While addressing the executives, entrepreneurs and marketers at the Google for India event at Delhi, he even said that India is one of the largest growth markets for Google.
Sundar Pichai laid stress on expanding internet across the country.
SOME OF THE IMPORTANT POINTS WHICH HE MADE:
- Sundar Pichai said that Google’s rural internet programme will be expanded to 300,000 villages across India. The company will even help women from 3 lakh villages across India to get online in three years. The initiative plan is called ‘Internet Saathi’ and will reach the villages in 3 years.
- In order to help women, get online, the company is expanding bicycle for women programme across the nation.
- Google CEO announced that the company will new campus and ramp up engineering presence in Hyderabad to make products for India. The company will be working with more than 30 universities in India.
- Regarding the partnership with Indian Railways to provide Wi-Fi at 400 stations, CEO said that 100 stations will have Wi-Fi by December 2016.
Users will get a full speed for first hour after which the speed will be reduced. It is even said that the service will be free for the users.
- Google is also in process to upgrade Indian maps.
- During the event three new features for the You Tube app were announced. One allows the user to select the time for downloading while the other allows the user background downloading. The third allows the video to buffer when paused.
- Chromebit was announced. The device can be connected to the HDMI port of any display, and convert it to a chrome OS computer. It will be launched next year at a price of Rs 7,999.
- Sundar Pichai talked about Project Loon that aims to bring internet to remote areas through use of balloons.