With New Traffic Laws In Place, 1,065 Cases Booked In Hyderabad Within Hours
The Hyderabad traffic police announced a new system of penalty points for frequent traffic violations on Tuesday, August 1, according to which if a person gets 12 penalty points within 24 months, his/her driving license will be suspended.
Within hours of its introduction, Hyderabad police booked over 1,000 cases and awarded penalty points.
The unique initiative is aimed at inculcating self-discipline among motorists and is said to be a first of its kind initiative in the country. It is being practised in all three Commissionerates — Hyderabad, Cyberabad and Rachakonda covering the city.
In a press note, Hyderabad police said that the penalty point system is placed “in order to discipline the violators, ensure free flow of traffic and also to curb the violators. The main objective of the special drive is to educate and also to ensure safety of the commuters apart from enforcement.”
What is the 12 penalty point system?
The 12 penalty point system is a list of violations under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, and corresponding points for each violation – 12 points within 24 months, will result in suspension of license.
Addressing media persons, officials also said that the new system would focus on prosecuting the drivers, rather than the present one, which takes action against the vehicle’s owner, reported The News Minute.
Different violations will attract different penalty points, with the highest penalty points for drunk driving and committing cognizable offences under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) while driving.
The list of violations and the penalty points thereof are given below:
What actions are taken if traffic rules are violated?
- If the cumulative tally of penalty points exceed the limit of 12 during the block period, his/her driving license shall be placed under suspension for a period of one year.
- If repeated after revoking by the same individual and accrues more than 12 points, his/her driving license will be placed under suspension for 2 years.
- Similarly, for the third time – 3 years suspension.
- These penalty points are in addition to fine imposed for the respective violation.
- The individual whose license is cancelled drives vehicle, then the vehicle is seized, on charge sheet likely to get imprisonment up to 3 months.
- If a person holding learners license accrues 5 points during the validity of his learner’s license, it shall be cancelled.
- Pending challans will not be counted.
- Focus on the driver with on-the-spot action.
- Points will be accrued for the driver, not the owner of the vehicle.
- Points to remain for a block period of 24 months.
Every time a person accrues a point, they will get an SMS on their phones. The point tally is available on RTA m-Wallet app and the challan notice too will have information on points accrued.
The Logical Indian community appreciates Hyderabad Traffic Police bringing in strict rules for traffic violations. According to National Crime Records Bureau 2015 data, road accidents led to 1,48,707 deaths, including 22,400 deaths in Telangana. The 12-point penalty system will make people more aware of traffic violations and present deaths and fatal injuries.