Haryana: Given Free Land Under State Policy, Three Gurugram Hospitals Fail To Provide Free Medical Services

The Logical Indian Crew Haryana

April 13th, 2018 / 5:06 PM

Image Credit: Counter Currents

Three city hospitals in Gurugram, Haryana have come under fire after DLSA, (District Legal Service Authority) wrote to Haryana Legal Service Authority that three city hospitals failed to adhere to the guidelines of providing free medical services to poor patients, as per a state policy under which they were given free land.

According to Hindustan Times, DLSA secretary Narender Singh stated in his letter to Haryana legal services authority(HLSA) that government allotted land inside the city to corporate entities to set up hospitals, free of cost, under the agreement that a percentage of poor patients would be given free consultation in the OPDs and also per the agreement a percentage of beds would be kept for the free treatment of poor patients. He also states that the policy requires hospitals maintain a separate register for EWS patients who have received free treatment and that this register is to be made available to the administrator and estate officer of the Haryana urban development authority (HUDA) and the president of the Red Cross Society.

According to Singh, the hospital is not following this system. Moreover, since these hospitals have violated the terms and conditions of the policy, the HUDA estate officer has the authority to initiate resumption of the plot given to the hospital on the recommendations of the monitoring committee, although according to Singh the policy has not been implemented over the years.

Singh told Hindustan times that earlier he had sent two letters to HUDA, on February 7 and 23 respectively, requesting information on the compliance with the above policy by hospitals. However, he has not received any response from them till date. The DLSA is requesting the HLSA to address the issue appropriately at the state level or escalate it to the Central government. HUDA administrator Chander Shekhar Khare responded by stating that he was unaware of the negligence in this matter since he had just joined and that he will inquire and make sure that poor patients get their due.

The policy states that Hospitals that receive free land from the government to establish facility must provide free treatment to 20% of total outdoor patients on first come first serve basis and that they must reserve 10% beds for treatment of indoor EWS in-patients. It also requires the super-speciality hospitals to charge 30% of normal charges, for 20% of the functional beds. People who can benefit from these are those with a BPL card, those with income not exceeding Rs 5,000 per month. The beneficiary should provide Haryana domicile certificate to qualify.


Contributors

Written by :

Edited by : Pooja Chaudhuri

Related Stories

Bengaluru Hospital Fire Closure

94 Of Bengaluru’s High-Rise Hospitals Don’t Follow Fire Safety Norms; State Fire Dept Is Ordering Closure Of 51 Of Them

Haryana Civil Services Mains Exam Postponed After Candidates Protest Demanding Cancellation Of Exam

Arvind Kejriwal’s Decision

Arvind Kejriwal’s Decision To Provide Women Free Public Transport Is A Strange Public Policy Move

SC Free Treatment Hospital

SC Asks Delhi Private Hospitals That Got Subsidized Land To Provide Free Treatment To Poor

Under Criticism Of Corruption, Union Cabinet Approves Bill To Replace Medical Council Of India With National Medical Commission

Land Given At 75% Discount To Patanjali, RTI Officers Who Made The Information Public Transferred

Latest on The Logical Indian

Good Governance

Sports Minister Assures Support To 24-year-old Runner After His 100 Mtr In 11 Second Video Goes Viral

Get Inspired

This 28-Yr-Old Who Runs Queer Muslim Project Is Part Of UN Task Force On Gender Equality

Sponsored

From One Delivery Network to Another – Swiggy Helps Mumbai’s Dabbawalas Brave the Monsoon

Get Inspired

24-Yr-Old Scientist’s Journey From One-Room House In A Slum To One Of World’s Best University

Good Governance

Sports Minister Assures Support To 24-year-old Runner After His 100 Mtr In 11 Second Video Goes Viral

News

‘Cauvery Calling’ – A Solution To Revive The River & Lessen Farmers’ Distress

x

Stories that deserve attention, delivered to your inbox!

Handpicked, newsworthy stories which deserve the attention of a rational generation.