[Video] PM Modi Launches Fit India Movement, Says "Healthier Country Is A Stronger Country"
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a nation-wide ‘Fit India Movement’ on Thursday, August 29 on the occasion of National Sports Day. The event was launched at Indira Gandhi Stadium Complex in New Delhi.
“Fit India aims to go beyond sports. It has to do with overall fitness and for people of all ages. Fitness is not just about being fit, but being healthy and happy,” PM Modi said during the launch of the movement.
Today, on National Sports Day we pledge to strength Fit India Movement! https://t.co/0BmpLreJPP
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 29, 2019
I appeal to everyone to join this fitness movement and make a ‘Fitter & Better India’.
— Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) August 29, 2019
Administering a fitness pledge, PM Modi launched the ‘Fit India Movement’ focusing on the need to include physical activity and sports in our day-to-day routine.
— ANI (@ANI) August 29, 2019
Paying tribute to hockey stalwart Dhyan Chand on the occasion of his birth anniversary, PM Modi said, “On this day a great sportsperson was born, Major Dhyan Chand. He amazed the world with his fitness, stamina, and hockey stick.”
During the launch, PM Modi also launched a “Fitness Logo” and a “Fitness Pledge” that read, “I promise to myself that I will devote time for physical activity and sports every day and I will encourage my family members and neighbours to be physically fit and make India a fit nation.”
Highlights Of PM’s Speech
- ‘When you gain awareness about fitness, become conscious about your health, you will notice changes in your life. It will also help you to stay away from life-threatening objects like drugs’
- ‘Healthier Country Is A Stronger Country’
- ‘For efficiency at work, physical fitness is necessary’
- ‘No elevator to success, you have to take the stairs’
- ‘Diseases like diabetes and hypertension is increasing in India day by day. This disorder is due to a disorder in your lifestyle. You have to change your lifestyle to improve your health’
- ‘You download fitness apps then forget about it, keep gym appliances in the corner of your room but never really use it’
- ‘Technology has made us in such a condition that we are running low and now the same technology tells us to count that today you have walked so many steps’
- ‘Swasth vyakti, swasth parivar aur swasth samaj, yahi naye Bharat ko shresth Bharat banane ka raasta hai’
- ‘Lifestyle disorders can be corrected by making small changes. To inform the people of the country about these changes is the objective of the movement’
- ‘It is surprising, but we know very little about our body, our strengths, our weaknesses’
- ‘Whether it is the boardroom or Bollywood, whoever is fit, touches the skies. If the body is fit, the mind is a hit’
Ahead of the launch, Minister of State (Independent Charge) Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju tweeted, “Tremendous supports are coming from all sections of the society to participate in the Fit India Movement to be launched by PM Narendra Modi Ji on August 29 at 10 am. Chief Ministers, corporates and many icons are taking amazing steps to make the programme a grand success.”
Tremendous supports are coming from all sections of the society to participate in the #FitIndiaMovement to be launched by @narendramodi ji on 29th Aug at 10am. Chief Ministers, Corporates and many icons are taking amazing steps to make the programme a grand success. pic.twitter.com/WecwnoVWDA
— Kiren Rijiju (@KirenRijiju) August 28, 2019
PM Modi had urged people to participate in ‘Fit India Movement’ on August 29, in his Mann Ki Baat address on August 25. He had also highlighted that India improved its ranking on global healthcare access and quality index from 153 in 1990 to 145 in 2016.
During today’s #MannKiBaat, I have made some requests to my fellow Indians:
Visit iconic places relating to Bapu as a part of his 150th Jayanti.
Travel to places related to nature and wildlife.
Strengthen Poshan Abhiyan.
Be a part of Fit India movement https://t.co/vfg9q3u0si
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 25, 2019
Sharing his fitness routine, Prime Minister in a Google Hangout had said, “I am equally energetic from morning till night. I guess the secret behind it is yoga and [breathing exercises]. Whenever I feel tired, I practice deep breathing, and that refreshes me again.”
Movement Receives Massive Support
The University Grants Commission (UGC) directed the affiliated higher educational institutes to make arrangements for live viewing of the event by the students, faculty and staff across all institutes.
Educational institutes were advised to prepare and implement an institutional fitness plan incorporating sports/exercises/physical activities for fitness, into the daily routine.
Institutes were directed to upload their fitness action plans on UGC’s “Fit India Movement Portal” which is under development.
In a video released by Sports Authority of India, PV Sindhu says: “I am taking the pledge, are you guys ready to take the pledge,” encouraging followers to take out some time daily to remain fit.
Representatives of private bodies such as Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), Reliance Foundation, JSW Cement and JSW Paints, SE TransStadia Pvt. Ltd., Tata Trusts, ASSOCHAM India, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), and actors Shilpa Shetty and Milind Soman also attended the launch of ‘Fit India Movement’.
All set to attend the launch and 1st committee meeting of the #FitIndiamovement in Delhi.
Outfit : raw_mango
Jewellery : curiocottagejewelry
Styled by : sanjanabatra
Assisted by : rupangisharma devakshim
— SHILPA SHETTY KUNDRA (@TheShilpaShetty) August 29, 2019