Kolkata: Five-Year-Old Among Two Killed In Firecracker Explosion
Five-year-old Adi Das, from Shilpara area in Behala, was killed on Sunday night when the clay base of a ‘tubri’ (clay flowerpot cracker) exploded. He was celebrating Diwali with his relatives when the cracker burst and pierced his neck.
According to reports, the cracker was being lit by the child’s aunt. The ‘tubri’ failed to light up, and its base kept swirling, post which it burst and a shrapnel-like piece hit the child’s neck. Although he was rushed to Vidyasagar Medical College and Hospital, he was declared brought dead. The shrapnel-like piece had perforated his neck and ruptured his lungs reported Times of India.
While his parents have raised a complaint against the crackers dealer, the police at Behala police station is investigating the safety of the fireworks and the possibility of negligence.
Meanwhile, Deep Kumar Koley, 39, lost his life when a Tubri exploded and hit his neck and eyes. He was lighting the Tubri in Kasba area of Kolkata on Sunday when the incident occurred. He was taken to a nearby government hospital, where he was declared brought dead.
In another incident, a Tamil Nadu youth’s thumb and index finger were partially amputated following a firecracker explosion on Sunday. The man in his mid-20s was trying to throw a lighted cracker when it exploded in his hand. According to reports, his was one among the 31 such cases treated at the Kilpauk Government Medical College Hospital on Diwali.