Day After IIPM 2.0 Launched, UGC Registers FIR Against Founder Arindam Chaudhuri
May 13th, 2015
Delhi Police have registered an FIR against Arindam Chaudhuri, founder of Indian Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM), on the basis of a complaint by the University Grants Commission of “misleading, cheating and fooling” its students as its courses were not acknowledged by any recognised authority.
Chaudhari said in a statement it was sad that some sections of the media have decided to pick up a case that was 6 months old and wondered how this could amount to cheating. “UGC and AICTE keep themselves in news by targeting IIPM with their lies because we have stayed consciously out of their purview and accused them of massive corruption”, he said.
Peri Maheshwar who fought against the fraudulent nature of degree conferred by IIPM has some caution for students joining colleges without researching about them and legal help for past students of IIPM(2008-2012)
Enough has been said and written about IIPM. If students still want to join them, they are making a conscious choice. I am only concerned with students who joined them from 2008- 2012 because there was the misrepresentation, as confirmed by Delhi High Court and Uttarakhand High Court. In a judgment dated 24th September 2014, the Hon’ Delhi High Court said “We however clarify that our having taken a lenient view would not relieve the respondent No.4 IIPM or its officials or Dean Mr. Arindam Chaudhuri from any action which may be taken by any other person who may have been lured by the advertisements made in violation of the statement given to the Court on 2nd December, 2013”
To help the past students take action, we created this Dropbox folder. We ensured that all information, rulings, orders, ads about IIPM are in one single place. We also created a draft complaint in consultation with our lawyers.
This folder contains the Annexures/Documents:
1. A draft complaint, drafted by lawyers to be made at any police station or consumer court. The student and parent can change the draft depending on their own experience and understanding because only the victim knows the extent of mis-selling. This is in compliance of Delhi HC order.
2. A Supreme Court order that bars any University to offer degrees outside its territorial jurisdiction. IIPM was offering degrees of MS University based from Tamil Nadu.
3. A UGC notification that cautions students on IIPM and its approval status.
4. A letter from NVAO that states that the degree offered by IMI, Belgium is unapproved even in Belgium and a student cannot use the title of ‘Bachelors’ or ‘Masters’ and threatening ‘prosecution’ as it is illegal to claim so.
5. The Order against IIPM by the Delhi High Court.
6. The order by Uttaranchal High Court about its arrangements with Buckingham University. A copy of the ad is also enclosed.
7. Order by Karnataka High Court granting fee refund to a student.
7. The Dehradun Consumer Court Order granting Fees refund to a student.
8. The Pune Consumer Court Order granting fees refund to a student.
9. A copy of their ad where they claimed MBA/BBA.
10. Police complaint by 70 students in Pune
11. Police complaint by students in Indore
12. Police complaint by students in Lucknow.
13. Police Compliant by students in Hyderabad.
14. Police complaint by students in Delhi.
15. A police complaint filed by UGC against IIPM for misleading students filed in Delhi.
16. Wikipedia action against an editor who was influencing the IIPM page.
There is a lot more, but I think this would suffice. I will also keep updating them as I get more information. If victims are not willing to help themselves, we cannot do much. The affected parents and students can use this information to seek the refund of their fees.
And my request to friends is to spread/share this message. Let prospective students decide after knowing the past of IIPM.
Maheshwer Peri is the publisher of the education magazine Careers 360