Cyclonic Storms Damage 3759 Houses In Nagaland
May 28th, 2016
The north eastern state of Nagaland faced one of the worst natual calamities in recent history of the country. The cyclone has so far damaged or uprooted thousands of houses. National State Disaster Management Authority (NSDMA) for which the chief minister is the chairman has ordered an immediate relief of 2 crores. The places affected by the cyclone as per the aerial survey taken were mokokchung ,zuhneboto and mon.
The scale of damage according to the NSDMA report is
Districts affected were
Relief measures taken
India’s cyclone scenario
1. Cyclones most likely originate from the the 10 degree to 15 degree north latitude making India, one of the the most cyclone prone zones in the world.
2. Eastern part of India is more susceptible to cyclones including the state of Gujarat. The total estimated land area susceptible to cyclones is 8%.
3. 80% of total cyclones which reach India originates from the eastern part of India.
4. Maximum destruction zone is the 100 KM from the centre of the cyclone.
5. Andhra Pradesh has faced close to 71 cyclones (1892-2004).
6. Odisha faced the worst of all the cyclones in 1999 when it wreaked havoc and paralysed the infrastructure and communication systems of the state besides a reported loss of 10,000 lives.
The Logical Indian hopes that situation improves in Nagaland and request the state govt. to provide a place to stay to the residents who are homeless now, if not done till now.