Chennai: Father, 2 Sons and 3 Others Die After Inhaling Toxic Gas From Septic Tank

27 March 2019 10:19 AM GMT
Chennai: Father, 2 Sons and 3 Others Die After Inhaling Toxic Gas From Septic Tank
Image Credit: The News Minute,�The News Minute(Representational)

Six people in the Sriperumbudur area of Chennai died due to asphyxiation after inhaling toxic gas from the septic tank, reported The News Minute. This incident has left the people in the area in a state of utter shock.


Family calls for help

Krishnamoorthy, a trader in the area lived with his family, which included- his wife, two sons Krishna and Kannan. Other families were given rent by Krishnamoorthy. The horrific incident unfolded when Krishnamoorthy stepped inside the septic tank to clear a small area, which the employed sewage tanker failed to notice earlier. The area of Sriperumbudur is yet to receive an underground drainage system. Soon after Krishnamoorthy jumped inside the tank, his two sons noticed that their father fainted. To bring him out, Karthik rushed in, however, he too fell unconscious. Seeing the condition exacerbating, Kanna too joined in, only to faint. The family of Krishnamoorthy shouted for help, Suradhabhai and Paramsivam were the first who came to help. They were their tenants but fell unconscious as well. Failing to understand, the family cried out for help. Lakshmikanthan, who was delivering cylinder came to help, but he too fainted.


Fire fighter rescues

After this, neighbours contacted the fire station, ambulance, and police. The six men were pulled out by a fire engine and were declared dead. The Fire Department personnel cleaned the poisonous tank and sealed it. According to Times Now report, assistant superintendent of police Rajesh Khanna dashed to the spot and carried out an inquiry. The police registered an FIR under section 174 CrPC and have sent all six bodies for autopsy to the government hospital in Sriperumbudur.

Even after Supreme Court banned manual scavenging in 2013, reports of several cases of manual scavenging leading to death have surfaced. Recently, in Delhi, two housekeeping staff of restaurant died after they went to clean the waste treatment plant.

The Logical Indian asks people to stop manual scavenging and report it to authorities if someone insists or pressurizes one to take it up. A person life is important and we ask everyone to respect that.


Also Read: Tamil Nadu: Asphyxiation During Manual Scavenging Claims Lives Of Two Siblings

Suggest a correction

    Help Us Correct

    To err is human, to help correct is humane
    Identified a factual or typographical error in this story? Kindly use this form to alert our editors
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Form Submitted Successfully
    Error in submitting form. Try again later

Contributors

The Logical Indian

The Logical Indian

contributor

The Logical Indian

The Logical Indian

contributor

Next Story