Govt To Scrap Thousands Of Vacant Posts While Finance Minister Promises To Create 70 Lakh Jobs In One Year
The government is planning to abolish all posts that have been vacant for more than five years. The centre has directed all its ministries and departments to submit a comprehensive report on the posts that have remained vacant for the period of more than five years.
The ministry of finance has also asked that an action-taken report be submitted. “Some departments and ministries have responded but some, instead of providing a comprehensive report, have submitted the requisite information in a piecemeal manner,” it said, as reported by The Financial Express.
The intimation was sent via an office memorandum dated January 16. “Financial advisors and joint secretaries (administration) of all ministries/ departments are requested to identify the posts which are vacant for more than five years and submit a comprehensive report on abolition of such posts in the main ministry and their respective subordinate organisations at the earliest,” it said.
According to a preliminary estimate, there are several thousand central government posts which are lying vacant for five or more years, a Home Ministry official said.
This comes in the wake of the Union Budget 2018 which is currently being tabled in the Parliament by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
India’s youth copes with joblessness as government turns a blind eye
NDTV journalist Ravish Kumar, who has been actively reporting on India’s joblessness, said that students spend hours preparing in coaching centres for various government jobs. They dedicate crucial years of their careers preparing for examinations but posts remain vacant rather than filled with candidates who wait for jobs in vain.
Kumar reported that on January 16, the media received another news that as of March 1, 2016, the central government had more than four lakh posts vacant in its ministries and departments. Despite this, the country’s youth is jobless.
The MEA’s decision to scrap thousands of posts will not only adversely affect the students currently preparing to fill the vacancies, but all those aspirants who gave examinations in preceding years will continue to remain unemployed.
The poor state of our country’s youth, though hardly reported by the media, is a sombre reality. Unemployed youngsters have reached such levels of desperation that even the ones with engineering and MBA degrees are applying for Grade 4 jobs. More than two lakh youth in Madhya Pradesh applied for jobs of sweeper, watchman, driver and peon in the state high court. Just by collecting application fees for forms, the state exchequer pocketed Rs 1.2 crore from Gwalior alone.
Vacancies in Uttar Pradesh Computer Operator was announced on May 3, 2017 – three months after Yogi Adityanath came to power in the state. Students travelled hundreds of kilometres to their examination centres, somehow managed to pay the application fee and trained themselves in typing to sit for the exam in September 2017. But four months later on January 29, 2018, the police board cancelled the examination all together, reported Ravish Kumar. In Ghaziabad, a re-examination was held because of issues with the server. Despite this, not even a single qualified candidate got the job. The vacancy was scrapped before the typing exam could even take place.
Last month, the Maharashtra government had announced to cut down its job force by 30%. Maharashtra has 19 lakh government employees. A 30% cut would mean about 6 lakh people would be jobless.
Youth in Delhi told NDTV that they apply for government jobs for security since jobs in the private sector do not get permanent. One of the candidates preparing for a government job questioned, “The Prime Minister said that selling Pakodas outside Zee TV office is also work. If we have to sell Pakodas, why are we even studying?”
The Logical Indian had earlier written multiple articles on the predicament of students who took examinations of the Staff Selection Committee (SSC). SSC recruits candidates in various department and ministers of the central government. 10,661 qualified candidates of the SSC CGL 2016 exam are still jobless. SSC CHSL 2015 qualified candidates are coping with the same. Students held a protest in Delhi on January 22, demanding that the SSC pursues their case with urgency. After NDTV’s prime time reportage on SSC’s failure to give jobs to thousands of youth, the commission released a notice saying that by February 28, the posts will be filled. The Postal Department said that it will fill 5,000 seats with the qualified candidates. Only time will tell if the decision will see the light of the day.
Today, in his Union Budget speech, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley promised 70 lakh jobs this year. In 2014, the then Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi had assured 10 million jobs – a promise yet to be made after nearly four years as his first term is close to an end.
While we discuss fringe groups and the country’s youth resorts to outrage only when their religion is ‘offended’, India’s future remains bleak.