Punjab: 2-Yr-Old Boy Who Fell Into A Borewell Dies After Being Rescued

The Logical Indian Crew Punjab

June 11th, 2019 / 7:50 PM

Boy Borewell Dies

Image Credit: The Times Of India

A two-year-old boy who was trapped in a 150-ft borewell for almost 110 hours in Punjab’s Sangrur district was declared dead on being rescued this morning (11 June 2019).

Fatehveer Singh was being rescued by joint efforts of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and police officials. On being brought to PGIMER Chandigarh in an ambulance, his condition was first declared to be serious. He was declared dead early in the morning of June 11.

Around 4 pm on June 6, Fatehveer Singh fell into the seven-inch wide borewell in a field while playing near his house in Bhagwanpura village in Sangrur area.


The Incident

The boy accidentally stepped on the borewell as it was covered by a cloth. Inside the borewell, he was unable to move as his face was covered with a jute bag, which fell on him when he slipped inside.

After he fell, no food or water could be provided to him, although the officials managed to supply oxygen.

To carry out the rescue operation, a parallel borewell with a diameter of 36 inches was dug up. When this did not work, Singh had to be brought out with his hands clamped with a rope.

Claiming that the body of the child had severe wounds, India Today quoted Rohi Singh, the child’s grandfather, as saying, “Why was he taken to the hospital when he is no more? He was pulled out (of the borewell) by using strings.”

A protest was held by villagers who were enraged over the fact that the district administration could not bring out the child even after four days. While villages blocked the Sunam-Mansa road, heavy police have to be deployed in the area to prevent any untoward incident.

Borewells lying open is a common problem in several states. It is harrowing to see how negligent authorities are towards issues like these, which in this case cost the boy his life.

It is high time these problems are looked into and dealt with seriously.


Also Read: Govt Overlooks Major Concerns While Proposing New Groundwater Rules


Contributors

Written by : Sumanti Sen

Edited by : Bharat Nayak

Related Stories

Bihar: 68 Fell Sick After Consuming Food In Hostel Run By Watchman As Headmaster Missing For Two Years

Railway Compensation

Fell Sick Due To Rats & Filth In Her Train Compartment, She Got Rs 19,000 After She Took Railways To Consumer Forum

Punjab: 22-Year-Old Youth Dies Due To Drug Overdose, Video Of Incident Goes Viral

56-Yr-Old Man Dies After Woman Pushed Him From Platform For Bumping Into Her

Jharkhand: 4 Children Died, 4 Others Fell Ill After Vaccination; Investigation Team Formed

Punjab child rights panel

#GoodNews: Punjab Child Rights Panel Claims To Have Rescued 1,084 Child Beggars In 2 Months

Latest on The Logical Indian

News

Railway Ministry Bans Single-Use Plastic From October 2; Lok Sabha Follows Footsteps

Awareness

UN Experts Slam Kashmir Communication Clampdown; Refer To The Situation As ‘Collective Punishment’

News

Oxford Study Reveals Packaged Food, Drinks In India Least Healthy

My Story

My Story: From Growing Up With Constant Pain & Discomfort To Becoming An Adcovate For Disability Rights

News

Govt’s New Direct Tax Code May Reduce I-T Burden, Simplify Filing Process

Exclusive

‘Give Us Any Small Space In This City To Feed The Poor’: Hyderabad Man Who Feeds 400 People Daily

x

Stories that deserve attention, delivered to your inbox!

Handpicked, newsworthy stories which deserve the attention of a rational generation.