Anil Ambani Tells Congress To “Behave Responsibly” Over Rafale Deal
The Logical Indian Crew India
August 23rd, 2018 / 1:28 PM
Reliance has sent a defamation notice to Congress leaders Sanjay Nirupam, Prithviraj Chavan, Randeep Singh Surjewala, Abhishek Manu Singhvi, among others for spreading “misinformation” about Anil Ambani-led Reliance Defence, in connection with the Rafale deal, as reported by Business Today. Earlier, Reliance had sent a “cease and desist” notice to Congress spokesperson Jaiveer Shergill. This notice had asked him and other Congress leaders to behave responsibly failing which they would face a legal action as reported by Zee News.
Cease and desist notice
The “cease and desist” notice had alleged that the leaders of ‘deliberately besmirch’ the name and reputation of the company for ‘petty personal and political gains’. According to Zee News, the notice sent to Jaiveer Shergill says “Freedom of expression and speech should not be mistaken as a license to behave irresponsibly and make false, frivolous, misleading and distorted statements to suit your political interest.”
Congress Spokesperson Jaiveer Shergill receives a cease & desist notice from Anil Ambani led Reliance Infrastructure, Reliance Defence & Reliance Aerostructure asking him to restrain from speaking on Rafale, failing which he will face legal consequences. pic.twitter.com/9yAa2zUcnB
— ANI (@ANI) August 22, 2018
In reaction to the notice, Jaiveer posted a tweet on Wednesday, saying that he is not scared of such notices and he, as a tax payer, deserves to know why Rs 42,000 crore was paid.
Received “Cease & Desist” Notice from Sh Anil Ambani threatening me with legal consequences if I speak on #RafaleDeal; My reply-I’m a Congress Soldier, a Proud Punjabi who doesn’t get scared with such notices-Tax Payer of this country deserves to know why they paid extra 42000 Cr
— Jaiveer Shergill (@JaiveerShergill) August 22, 2018
Congress accuses Modi govt of favouring Reliance Defence
Congress party has accused the Modi Government of favouring Reliance Defence over Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Rafale deal, alleging that the deal has caused a loss of Rs 41,000 Crore to the National Exchequer.
Ambani wrote to Rahul Gandhi over baseless allegations
Previously Anil Ambani has written a letter to Rahul Gandhi that their corporate rivals have misinformed his party on the Rafale fighter jet deal. On August 21 reliance infrastructure, in its media statement has said that its Chairman has written a letter to Congress president Rahul Gandhi last week expressing deep anguish over the continued personal attacks on him while terming all the allegations as “baseless, ill-informed and unfortunate” as reported by The Times of India.
Ambani has said in the letter that the decision to choose his company as a joint venture partner by Dassault was an independent agreement between the two corporate sector private entities and that the government of India had no role to play in this matter. “The Reliance Group announced its decision to enter the defence manufacturing sector in December 2014-January 2015, months before the intention for the purchase of Rafale aircraft. In February 2015, we informed the Indian Stock Exchanges of the companies we have incorporated,” Anil Ambani said.
As reported by NDTV, while speaking about the allegations made repeatedly on Reliance Defence by Congress, Anil Ambani has said, “Our role is limited to offset exports/ export obligations. More than 100 medium, small and micro enterprises (MSMEs) will participate in this along with public sector undertakings like BEL and Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO). This role strengthens Indian manufacturing capabilities and is in pursuance of the Offsets Policy introduced by the Congress-led UPA Government itself from 2005 onwards”. He also said that not even a single component of the worth of even a rupee cost was manufactured by Reliance.
The Congress Party is reportedly adamant on exposing Bhartiya Janta Party’s (BJP) Rafale Scam. They allege that the contract was signed at a higher price than the price agreed during UPA led Government for the benefit of certain people. They have accused NDA government of setting a deal at 300 per cent higher than the one negotiated by the UPA. According to NDTV, the Congress party is planning to launch a month-long nationwide protest on Rafale Scam and other issues about the current central government.
Congress has formed a six-member committee and has asked 50 of its leaders to hold press conferences in 100 cities across the nation to take on BJP exposing their ‘Rafale Scam’ according to the India Today. The party is also demanding for judicial probe on this matter. In May 2018 a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed in Supreme court seeking an independent Enquiry in the matter by Congress leader Tehseen S Poonawalla, according to the Firstpost.
The Logical Indian take
The ongoing attacks and counter-attacks between the ruling and opposition parties have created a lot of fuss in the political environment of the country. The uproar created by the opposition in Lok Sabha a few days back over Rafale Deal has put the ruling party in a questionable position among the people of India, as they are taxpayers and have all the right to know how and where the Government spends the money. The central government is yet not ready to disclose the actual price of the deal citing the various secrecy clause and rules with the French Government. The solution to this ongoing debate will be arrived at only when the judiciary intervenes in the matter and gets the truth in front of all.
Written by : Santosh Kumari (Intern)
Edited by : Shraddha Goled