August 9th, 2015
Image Source: IndiaTv
The chairperson for the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW), Swati Maliwal called up a meeting with the deputy chief minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia and the health minister Satyendra Jain on Thursday. The meeting was also attended by a delegation of five acid attack victims.
The Delhi government had made an announcement a day before the meeting, that the acid attack victims will be provided medical treatment for free in all hospitals of Delhi, inclusive of government and private hospitals. The private hospitals were also directed by the Supreme Court in April to provide all medical assistance to victims. This treatment also involves expensive plastic surgeries and corrective surgeries.
Swati Maliwal kept her stance by saying that, there had been directions by the Supreme Court earlier to provide free medical treatment to acid attack victims but the directions weren’t implemented. This move is to draw the attention of the concerned ministers in this matter to provide good medical treatment to the victims. The acid attack victims need continuous medical treatment, and money shouldn’t be a barrier to them. Maliwal further added that 35 victims in Delhi have already received compensation from Delhi Legal Services.
The DCW Chairperson brought up the issue of employment for the victims of acid attack. The DCW officials said, that all the 35 victims would get a government job based on their skills, interests and qualifications. A database will be prepared, which will include all their details.
Satyendra Jain said the commitment till now was made only for acid attack victims in Delhi and not for the victims living outside Delhi. Dr. R N Das, who is an officer on special duty to the health minister, is nominated as nodal officer for treatment of the victims. A committee has been proposed to be formed with DCW by the health ministry; for implementation of Supreme Court’s direction effectively.
The acid attack victims are also dissatisfied that their cases against perpetrators of acid attack are still pending in various courts. The Delhi Government on this issue accepted the demand of Delhi Commission for Women, to appoint senior lawyers to pursue the cases of the victims and maintain a follow-up with the assistance of the home department.