The Jharkhand High Court on August 20 stayed, until further orders, the state government’s decision to cancel appointments made through the 11th–13th Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) Civil Services examinations and the recruitment of Food Safety Officers, offering immediate relief to hundreds of candidates already in government service.
Justice Deepak Roshan, hearing three petitions challenging the government’s August 18 notifications, directed that the affected candidates be reinstated and observed that they could not be removed without due process and adherence to principles of natural justice.
The court has sought responses from the Jharkhand government and JPSC and fixed September 15 for the next hearing. According to the petitioners, 342 candidates selected through the 11th–13th JPSC examinations are currently serving, while reports put the wider number receiving relief, including Food Safety Officers, at around 450.
The government’s cancellation had followed a 26-day student agitation over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. Chief Minister Hemant Soren had said investigations by the SIT and CID had revealed “shocking facts” and announced a wider review of recruitment examinations since 2014, along with an examination reforms committee.
While protesting students welcomed action against allegedly compromised examinations and sought deeper accountability, appointed candidates argued that they should not lose their jobs for irregularities they did not commit. Student leaders have now accused the government of failing to properly defend its decision in court, with some describing the latest development as a “new fight”.
Court Protects Appointed Candidates
The High Court’s intervention centres on what happens to candidates who had already cleared the recruitment process and joined government service. The petitions were filed after the state cancelled the 11th–13th JPSC Civil Services examinations and associated appointments, along with the recruitment of 56 Food Safety Officers.
The court’s interim order means those cancellations cannot presently be implemented. News On AIR reported that Justice Roshan directed reinstatement and stressed that selected candidates could not simply be removed without following due process. The state government and JPSC must now explain the legal and factual basis of their decision before the next hearing.
The order is significant because the candidates are not merely waiting for results; many had already entered service. The 11th–13th JPSC recruitment was conducted for 342 posts, with the final selection made after a lengthy examination process.
The latest legal challenge therefore raises a fundamental question: even if irregularities are established somewhere in a recruitment system, can candidates who were not individually accused of wrongdoing be collectively removed from posts they secured?
The court has not given a final finding on the validity of the examinations or cleared the recruitment process of all allegations. Its intervention at this stage is primarily about protecting the affected candidates while the government’s decision is examined.
From Student Protest To Legal Battle
The court’s order follows weeks of protests by job aspirants in Ranchi over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted through the JPSC, Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) and outsourced agencies.
On August 17, Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the JSSC-Combined Graduate Level examination and all examinations, results and selections associated with TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) since 2014.
He also announced a comprehensive inquiry into recruitment examinations conducted by JPSC and JSSC from 2014 onwards and an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal. Soren said investigations by the SIT and CID had brought “shocking facts” to light and indicated a wider network involving agencies and companies.
The government subsequently released a list of 44 recruitment examinations cancelled over alleged irregularities, including examinations for posts such as deputy collectors, drug inspectors, assistant professors, civil judges and forest range officers.
The broader action followed a 26-day agitation in which students demanded stronger action, transparency and an independent probe. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, who had undertaken a hunger strike, called the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-linked examinations a “huge victory”, although protesters continued to press for a CBI investigation and wider reforms.
The government’s action, however, created a second constituency of protesters: candidates and employees whose appointments were suddenly placed at risk. Employees appointed through JPSC, JSSC-CGL and TDPL-linked examinations protested at Project Building in Ranchi, demanding job security.
This has exposed the difficult balance facing the state students want compromised recruitment processes investigated, while selected candidates argue that they should not be punished for alleged wrongdoing by agencies or officials.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
The Jharkhand recruitment controversy highlights why fairness in public examinations cannot be reduced to either cancellation or protection of appointments. Students who spend years preparing for government jobs deserve a recruitment system they can trust, while candidates who have already been selected and appointed deserve due process before their careers are disrupted.
The government’s stated commitment to investigate irregularities and reform examinations is important, but accountability must be evidence-based and should distinguish between those responsible for wrongdoing and candidates who may have cleared an examination without any proven misconduct. The High Court’s interim order offers breathing space, but the larger challenge remains: rebuilding confidence in Jharkhand’s recruitment system without allowing legitimate student concerns or the rights of appointed candidates to be overlooked.
Also read: Taxi Drivers Get Notices As Maharashtra RTOs Begin Marathi Language Checks












