Cervical Cancer Facts That Women Must Know!
February 4th, 2016 / 1:23 PM
We generally shy away from discussing anything related to sexual practices and menstrual hygiene due to our personal and social inhibitions. As these issues are considered as tabooed in developing countries like India, it is quite a task to educate people, especially women about cervical cancer which results mainly from undesirable sexual habits and poor menstrual hygiene. Being one of the easily preventable as well as curable cancers, creating awareness about the disease has become the need of the hour. This article sheds light on cervical cancer, its causes, early detection and prevention.
What is cervical cancer? Who is prone to it?
It’s an uncontrolled, unwanted growth of cervical cells. Cervix is a narrow lower part of the uterus or womb. It connects the uterus with vagina. Women in the age group of 30 to 50 are most prone to this disorder.
What are the symptoms of cervical cancer?
- Bleeding post sexual intercourse
- Bleeding in between menses or after menopause
- Excessive white discharge
What causes cervical cancer?
- The human papillomavirus (HPV) has been identified as the major contributing factor to cervical cancer. It might get transmitted sexually.
- Early age at the time of the first sexual intercourse
- Multiple sexual partners
- History of sexually transmitted diseases
- First pregnancy at an early age
- Four or more pregnancies
- Poor menstrual and genital hygiene
Read More At: Practo
– Dr. Sandeep Nayak
This #WorldCancerDay, Practo in association with The Logical Indian & HCG Oncology is driving a campaign to raise awareness for cancer. To share any questions on cancer please visit Practo consult.
Edited by :