The web of technology has deeply penetrated every aspect of our lives. There is not a moment that goes by without one being thoroughly engrossed in his/her phone. However, this obsession with technology can be a problem, especially, if you are a new mother who is breastfeeding.
According to an article by tiny step, experts suggest that use of mobile phones or other gadgets while nursing can be potentially harmful to the child and cause issues as the child grows up.
Listed here are some of the reasons for the same:
- IT IS A TIME TO BOND: Nursing the child is a time when the child is closest to the mother. It is thus a great time for the child to learn more about the mother and for the mother to bond with her infant. When the baby is being fed, his/her face is at the apt distance from the mother to look at her and to pay attention to her, and this only strengthens the bond between the two.
- BEHAVIOURAL PROBLEMS: Technology is nothing but a distraction at such times as babies want the undivided attention of their mothers at all times. They make noises, hold the mother’s fingers and use other methods to attract the other’s attention. If they do not get a response, they are exposed to the risk of getting insecurely or anxiously attached to the mother until she starts paying attention, according to the inputs given by Dr.KateyuneKaene of Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center to Mommyish.
- TIME TO RELAX: In addition to bonding, it is also a time for the mother to relax and unwind. Staying glued to gadgets can disrupt sleep and can even cause depression, according to experts. It can severely disturb one’s daily routine and hinder the way the mind relaxes. A better option would be to indulge in something that does not harm the mother’s physical or mental well-being like meditation, watching television, reading a book etc.
- RADIATION FROM GADGETS: Gadgets like cell phones emit harmful radiations all the time. Although research has come up inconsistent and inconclusive, there are concerns that the non-ionizing radiations that cell phones emit could be a possible cancer-causing carcinogen. With phones being close to infants all the time during breastfeeding, there is also a chance that it could hamper the child’s DNA structure, according to activemomsnetwork.
- BE MORE IN TUNE: If the baby is being given the mother’s proper attention, the mother will be able to notice his/her nursing patterns like does he/she tend to get drowsy 5 minutes into feeding? Alternatively, does he tend to burp halfway through a feeding?
All this can surely help the mother to know more about the child’s needs and take appropriate measures if any problem occurs.
Being on the phone is not a crime or a colossal mistake. However, being on the phone all the time is not good for the mother or the baby- special care needs to be taken during nursing and technology should not be a medium that obstructs the overall development of the baby.