Air Pollution Killed 17 Lakh Indians In 2019: Study

Air pollution killed nearly 17 lakh people in India in 2019, accounting for an alarming 17.8 per cent of all deaths last year in India, as per a new scientific paper.

India   |   23 Dec 2020 10:39 AM GMT
Writer : Ankita Singh | Editor : Shubhendu Deshmukh | Creatives : Rajath
Air Pollution Killed 17 Lakh Indians In 2019: Study

Image Credits: Kevin Kmtai/ twitter

Air pollution killed nearly 17 lakh people in India in 2019, accounting for an alarming 17.8 per cent of all deaths last year in India, as per a new scientific paper.

The economic loss which the nation suffered due to lost output from premature deaths and disease caused by pollution last year was estimated to be around ₹2.6 lakh crore. This figure nears 1.4 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) with Delhi suffering the highest per capita loss, followed by Haryana.

The India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative published a scientific paper on the health and economic impact of air pollution in Lancet Planetary Health which documents the trends in health loss due to air pollution and its economic impact in all states.

As per the findings in the paper, the economic loss due to air pollution as a percentage of the state GDP was higher in the northern and central Indian states, with the highest rates in Uttar Pradesh (2.2 per cent of GDP) and Bihar (2 per cent of GDP).

NITI Aayog member Prof Vinod Paul said the scientific paper presents the latest evidence on air pollution in India, translating the health loss to economic impact reported, NDTV.

He also said that air pollution and its impact is not a matter for the health sector alone, and the solutions lie in taking up a multi-sectoral approach.

ICMR Director General Balram Bhargava said that various government schemes such as the 'Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana'' and 'Unnat Chulha Abhiyan'' have helped in reducing household air pollution in the country.

He further added that this success encourages the states to enhance efforts to reduce outdoor air pollution as well.

Bhargava also said that the findings in this analysis denote the impact of air pollution on human health with 40 per cent of the disease burden due to air pollution resulting from lung diseases, the remaining 60 per cent is from ischemic heart disease, stroke, diabetes and neonatal deaths related to preterm birth.

Also Read: Vaccines Will Be Effective Against New Strain Of COVID-19: Experts

Suggest a correction

    Help Us Correct

    To err is human, to help correct is humane
    Identified a factual or typographical error in this story? Kindly use this form to alert our editors
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Form Submitted Successfully
    Error in submitting form. Try again later

Contributors

Ankita Singh

Ankita Singh

Digital Editor

A literature lover who likes delving deeper into a wide range of societal issues and expresses her opinions about the same. Keeps looking for best-read recommendations while enjoying her coffee and tea.

Shubhendu Deshmukh

Shubhendu Deshmukh

Digital Editor

Shubhendu, the quint essential news junky, the man who loves science and politics in equal measure and offers the complete contrast to it by being a fan of urdu poetry as well.

Rajath

Rajath

Creative Producer

A free spirit who find meaning in life with the virtue of creativity and doing job par its excellence, animal lover and traveller by heart.

Next Story