re-register your vehicle in the new state.

Government Awareness

Good To Know : How To Re-register Your Vehicle If You Are Planning To Shift Your Vehicle To Another State For More Than A Year?

Pavan Manikanta Kumar

September 19th, 2016


Registering your vehicle with the government authority is a compulsory requirement. The purpose of vehicle registration is to establish clear ownership and to tax vehicle owners. All motorised road vehicles in India are tagged with a registration or license number commonly known as number plate that is issued by the district-level Regional Transport Office (RTO) of respective states.

When you move your vehicle from one state to another and you have to use the vehicle for more than one year then, you have to re-register your vehicle in the new state and pay the road tax or lifetime tax again, based upon the depreciated value of the vehicle. The owner of the vehicle can get reimbursement of road tax paid from the previous state by showing the new road tax payment receipt following due procedure. One has to follow vehicle re-registration rules of the new state.

We, in general, tend to approach middlemen for any work related to the vehicle because we think that the processes  involved are complex to understand .The Logical Indian requests everyone to use the avenues provided by the government and save thousands of rupees which are paid to the middlemen.


Get NOC from Traffic department and National Crime Records Bureau.

To get NOC from RTO , the owner has to submit 2 other NOC’s namely

  • Traffic Police NOC stating that there are no challans/fines pending.
  • National Crime Records Bureau report that the vehicle is not stolen and not involved in any accident.

Step 1: Document needed to get NOC from Traffic department and NCRB.The NOC is issued

  • A letter addressing Dy.Commissioner of Traffic.
  • Copy of  vehicle papers- RC,Insurance,Pollution Certificate.
  • Copy of Driving Licence.
  • Copy of Local Residential proof (Ration card/DL/Passport/Letter from HR (original)/Bank Passbook).
  • Clearance letter from the Financier/Bank (only in case you had bought your vehicle on loan).

Here is the sample vehicle NOC form  from HDFC bank.

Make sure that you are carrying all the originals when you are visiting the Traffic Police office for verification.It may take from few hours to days to receive your NOC.

Getting NOC from National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB) is same as getting NOC from Traffic department.There may be slight changes in the process.This is required in some states.

Step 2: After getting NOC from Traffic and Crime police please visit the RTO with documents as listed below  

  • Form 28 (in Quadruplicate) -Application for No Objection Certificate and Grant of Certificate
  • Attested copy of Registration Certificate.
  • Evidence of payment of road tax up-to-date – for commercial vehicles only
  • Valid insurance document.
  • Valid Pollution certificate
  • NOC from traffic police that there is no due of any fine for traffic violation etc.
  • Clearance from National Crime Records Bureau (May be required in some states
  • Bank/Financier  NOC if your vehicle under loan/hyphenation.

Here is the sample vehicle NOC form  from HDFC bank.

Note: In Form 28 ,please strike off whichever is not applicable.

Step 3: Submit  the documents in the concerned section and pay the required fee.It may take few days to receive your NOC. As soon as you receive the NOC to move your vehicle to another state,you are good to to move your vehicle from present state to another where you intended to registered again.


Re-registering Your Vehicle In The New State.

Now as you have the NOC from the original RTO, you can go to the concerned RTO in the new state you can apply for re-register your vehicle to get a new registration.

Step 1: Documents required to Re-register your vehicle:

  • Other state registrations certificate in original.
  • Form 20
  • Form 28 (NOC obtained from previous RTO)
  • Form 27  – from RTO where the vehicle is originally registered.

(To be made in duplicate if the vehicle is held under an agreement of hire- purchase/lease/hypothecation and the duplicate copy with the endorsement of the Registering Authority to be returned to the financier simultaneously, on the assignment of a new registration mark).

  • Form 33  intimation of change of address to be recorded in the Certificate of Registration in the new state.
  • Attested copy of address proof – HR letter/ Rent agreement can also be used.
  • Attested copy of valid insurance.
  • Attested copy of pollution under control certificate.
  • PAN Card or Form 60 & 61(as applicable)
  • Passport size photographs of the applicant.
  • Bank/Financier  NOC if your vehicle under loan/hypothecation.
  • Address proof in the new state.

Note: Such registration of a vehicle in some of the states are subject to clearance from   National Crime Record Bureau. The Transport Department arranges the clearance certificate themselves.

Step 2: As per the rules you have to pay again road tax in the new state.After paying the road tax in the new state, you can get reimbursement t of road tax you have paid in the previous state.

RTO Officer will calculate the road tax based on the Original Invoice of your vehicle – you will have to bring a Demand Draft (aka Banker Cheque) equivalent to value of Road Tax as assessed by RTO Officer

  • If a motor vehicle registered in one State is kept in another State, for a period exceeding twelve months, an application for re-assignment of registration mark in the other State is required to be submitted by the owner within a period of thirty days from the date of expiry of such period of twelve months.
  • The penalty is added to the road tax if paid late than the stipulated time.

Step 3: Carry all the document from step 1 and step 2 while visiting the concerned officer.Submit the documents to the concerned officer and get your new RC in stipulated time.

Blank Envelope: Submit a blank self Addressed Envelope needs to be affixed with Postage Stamps equivalent to the value of Registered Post along with the documents.

NOTE : Road tax is different in different states and also depends on the age of the vehicle.


Disclaimer: *This information is subject to periodic government policy/process change. Kindly contact the concerned department to cross check for recent updates, if any.


Stories that deserve attention, delivered to your inbox!

Handpicked, newsworthy stories which deserve the attention of a rational generation.

Send this to a friend