The father of 21-year-old Muzammil Khokar, who was killed after a tower crane collapsed into a residential complex in Mumbai’s Mira Road on July 16, has intensified his fight for accountability, demanding that developer JP Infra be named as an accused in the case.
Aziz Khokar began an indefinite hunger strike outside Kashigaon police station after alleging that the police had registered the case against the contractor and other site personnel but left out the builder. He has also sought that the case be examined under Section 105 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), which deals with culpable homicide not amounting to murder, instead of Section 106, which concerns causing death by negligence.
Kashigaon police have registered an FIR against contractor Jagdish Waghela, sub-contractors Jayant Ghade and Prashant Mashruf, safety engineers Rajesh and Anil Chowdhary, the crane operator and others under Section 106, along with other provisions.
Police said their preliminary investigation indicated that necessary safety precautions were not in place and that the builder had awarded the work to the contractor. Khokar, however, has alleged that residents had previously raised concerns about the crane and that the developer should also face investigation.
His hunger strike continued for five days before he was hospitalised after his health deteriorated. The family subsequently approached the Bombay High Court seeking JP Infra’s inclusion in the case, with the petition reportedly listed for hearing on August 3. The final legal outcome of that hearing could not be independently verified from publicly available authoritative sources.
Crane Crashes Into Homes
The incident occurred at around 8.15 pm on July 16 at the JP North complex in Mira Road East, where construction work was underway on a multi-level parking structure. A large tower crane operating from the under-construction structure toppled and crashed into the neighbouring JK Iris residential complex, killing Muzammil Khokar and injuring others.
Muzammil, a resident of the adjoining society, was inside the residential complex when the crane came down. He was rescued from the debris and taken to hospital but later succumbed to his injuries. The collapse also damaged several vehicles parked within the residential premises. Reports put the damage at around 12 two-wheelers and four cars, while two other people, including a woman and the crane operator, were reported injured.
The crane was estimated to be more than 100 feet tall. There have been differences in early reports over the precise floor from which it fell, with some initial accounts referring to the 13th floor and later police-linked reports saying the crane was operating from around the 11th floor. The exact technical reason for the collapse has also not yet been conclusively established.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Rahul Chavan said the preliminary investigation indicated that necessary safety precautions had not been taken at the site. He also said the builder had given the work to the contractor. Police have maintained that the investigation is continuing and that action will be taken against those found responsible.
For Muzammil’s father, however, the question is not limited to the immediate operators of the crane. Aziz Khokar has argued that responsibility must extend to anyone whose decisions, supervision or alleged failure to act may have contributed to the tragedy.
Father Demands Builder’s Accountability
The demand for action against JP Infra emerged immediately after the collapse. On July 17, a day after Muzammil’s death, Khokar and other residents gathered outside Kashigaon police station, seeking the registration of a case against the developer.
Khokar alleged that he had repeatedly asked police to include the builder in his complaint but that the developer was not named in the FIR. Videos of the protest circulated on social media, showing Khokar and supporters demanding that the investigation examine the builder’s role.
Residents also alleged that concerns had previously been raised about the crane operating close to occupied residential buildings. Speaking to reporters, Khokar claimed that residents had warned the developer about the potential danger and that complaints had been made before the accident. These claims remain allegations and have not been independently established through a court finding.
The police, meanwhile, proceeded with an investigation into the construction personnel directly involved with the crane. On July 19, Kashigaon police registered an FIR against contractor Jagdish Waghela, sub-contractors Jayant Ghade and Prashant Mashruf, safety engineers Rajesh and Anil Chowdhary, the crane operator and others.
The FIR was registered under Section 106 of the BNS for causing death by negligence. Reports also identified Sections 324 and 3(5) among the provisions invoked.
The police action did not satisfy Khokar. He argued that simply prosecuting the contractor and site-level personnel could leave unanswered questions about the wider chain of responsibility at the project.
He subsequently demanded that the case be registered under Section 105 of the BNS, which deals with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. However, whether that provision is legally applicable is a matter for investigators and the courts to determine based on evidence. The family’s demand should not be treated as a finding that the offence amounts to culpable homicide.
Hunger Strike Leads To HC Plea
Khokar continued his protest outside Kashigaon police station and began an indefinite hunger strike, insisting that the builder should be made an accused and that the nature of the criminal case should be reconsidered.
His protest eventually lasted five days. His health reportedly deteriorated during the fast, with his blood sugar and blood pressure affected, after which he was admitted to the ICU of Cordis Criticare Hospital in Mira Road East. The development marked a significant escalation in the family’s campaign for action.
The protest had also drawn support from local residents and family members, including Khokar’s maternal uncle Asif Chowdhary. Their central contention was that a construction accident of this magnitude should be investigated beyond the people physically operating or supervising the crane.
Following the hunger strike and hospitalisation, the family moved the Bombay High Court seeking the inclusion of JP Infra as an accused. A July 28 report by the Free Press Journal said the petition sought directions for the developer to be named in the FIR and was scheduled for hearing on August 3.
The move shifted the family’s campaign from a protest outside the police station to a formal legal challenge concerning the scope of the investigation.
At the same time, it is important to distinguish allegations from established facts. The FIR against the contractor and other individuals does not establish their guilt, just as the family’s allegations against JP Infra do not establish criminal liability. Those questions will ultimately depend on evidence gathered during the investigation and, if charges are pursued, judicial proceedings.
The investigation will need to establish who was responsible for installing and operating the crane, who was responsible for inspection and maintenance, what safety measures were prescribed and implemented, whether residents’ concerns were formally received, and whether the responsibility extended beyond the people already named in the FIR.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
The Mira Road tragedy is a painful reminder that construction activity does not happen in isolation from the communities around it. When heavy machinery is operated next to occupied residential buildings, safety cannot be treated as a responsibility that ends with the person sitting in the operator’s cabin or the contractor executing the work. At the same time, accountability must be based on evidence, due process and a fair investigation rather than assumptions or public pressure alone.
Aziz Khokar’s demand for answers reflects a father’s grief and a family’s need to understand how a routine evening ended in the loss of a young life. The authorities must ensure that every relevant layer of responsibility is examined transparently, while everyone accused is afforded due process. A credible investigation can serve both purposes: protecting the rights of those accused and ensuring that no genuine lapse is overlooked.
Also read: Manipur Shuts Down For 48 Hours As Students, Women Vendors Demand NRC Before Census













