Fact Check: Is UP Police Recording, Saving Your Calls?
The verdict in Ayodhya Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid case came today. Being a communally sensitive issue section 144 has been imposed all over Uttar Pradesh and parts of India as well. Such incidents also facilitate the spread of fake news.
Recently, a Facebook post warning people to take precautionary measures while using phones to call as well as social media is being widely circulated. There is a list of twelve pointers:
- All calls will be recorded
- All calls will be saved
- WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook and other Social Media will be monitored
- Inform the ones who don’t know
- Your devices will be connected to Government systems
- Do not send a wrong message to anyone
- Make sure you and your loved ones operate your own social media accounts
- If you receive any offensive post on Ayodhya, Political Situation or the Prime Minister, do not forward them
- Do not write any instigating post against any religion. The police are liable to arrest you without a warrant if the law is broken
- The police will then remove a notification, and then an action for Cyber Crime will be taken on you.
- This issue is very serious. Group Members and Admins should think about this carefully.
- Do not send any wrong messages. Inform everyone and keep this in mind.
Similar posts have also been shared all over Facebook
Ayodhya Verdict – New rules of communication will come into force from tomorrow: –All calls will be recorded.All call…
My freind sent this sensitive subject .Without authonticating same,felt to circulate &sensitize my freinds here The…
Avoid Outdoor Travel November 09 to 11. Tell them to stay home. The Ayodhya verdict comes out on November 09. "New…
Avoid Outdoor Travel November 10-13. Tell them to stay home. The Ayodhya verdict comes out on November 13. "New rules…
The Logical Indian accessed a tweet by Ayodhya Police where they have put up a similar post with the same pointers. The tweet says that the message circulated on WhatsApp groups is a fake, and the Ayodhya Police refutes the claims given in it. The police also appeals to citizens to not share the post.
कतिपय व्हाट्सएप ग्रुपों में इस प्रकार के भ्रामक मैसेज का प्रसार किया जा रहा है, जिसका #ayodhyapolice पूर्णतया खंडन करती है। कृपया इस भ्रामक पोस्ट को शेयर न करें।@dgpup @IpsAshish @adgzonelucknow @igrangeayodhya#UPPAgainstFakeNews pic.twitter.com/kwzzhNbUMD
— AYODHYA POLICE (@ayodhya_police) November 3, 2019
Distribution of fake messages during such sensitive times is not new, and this is the latest instance. The Logical Indian appeals to everyone not to forward anything until and unless it is from an authentic source or verified.