Image Source: Wpur
More often we come across posters on “Stop Child Labour” or discuss on this issue. While we give lectures on child labour, we take services from the little ‘Chhotus’ around us, thus help in perpetuating this crime which is one form of slavery. Yes, we are hypocrites!
Some times we mull over “how can we solve this problem” and find ourselves helpless. Now it’s time to stop sympathizing on every issue and start acting on it. There are few things that we can do as an individual so that a child has same opportunity of quality education and live their life as we had while growing up.
1. While at home, pledge to never employ a child below 14 years of age as a domestic help.
2. If you are a business owner or own a small scale factory or a local shop, make sure you don’t exploit a child just to save few bucks.
3. While at office, make sure you are not asking your Chhotu to serve you water.
4. While you take a break from your office for snacks and tea, please ensure that Chhotu is not taking orders or serving you.
5. Most importantly, Speak! Speak about it with anyone you know who has a child as a domestic help, speak with the owners of these little Chhotus!
6. If you see children being employed in horrendous condition as in coalmine, brick-kiln, garage, sweatshops, garment factory or explosive factories, please dial 1098 (Child Line India) and spread the information. You can visit www.childlineindia.org.in to know more about it.