February 18th, 2016
Source: Catch News | Author: Shweta Sengar| Image Courtesy: team-bhp
Scania, a leading commercial vehicle manufacturer is displaying its might at the Make in India Week, that is underway in Mumbai.
The company is showcasing its ethanol-run green bus at the biggest industrial event of the country. The bus is a pioneer in sustainable transportation and biofuel solutions.
Here are five key facts about the brilliant green bus:
1) The first Scania green bus was introduced in Sweden over 20 years ago. Scania India introduced the bus to the country in 2014.
2) The eco-friendly bus can help lower fuel consumption – and subsequently reduce the levels vehicular pollution, for which India holds some rather alarming records.
3) India imports petrol, diesel and gas worth over Rs 6 lakh crore every year. India can reduce the imports by at least Rs 2 lakh crore by using alternative fuels. This is where the ethanol-run Scania bus shines, in all its green glory.
4) The green bus project will particularly appeal to four Indian states – Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu – as these states produce ethanol in large quantities.
5) The bus is in keeping with the BJP government’s target to achieve a 20 per cent ethanol-petrol mix by 2017. Currently only, Maruti Suzuki and Honda Cars India have made their cars E10 – which means 10 per cent ethanol as been added to petrol.
While the bus certainly sounds fascinating, the price of the ethanol-run bus is Rs 1.13 crore – excluding taxes. Environmentally friendly indeed, but pocket-friendly? Not so much.