Tripura To Start Spoken English Classes To Equip School Students For Higher Studies, Jobs

Under the pilot project in government and government-aided schools, after schools re-open, 30 students will be enrolled in each class of spoken English coaching, five days a week for six months after regular class-work.

Tripura   |   13 Aug 2020 11:58 AM GMT
Writer : Reethu Ravi | Editor : Prateek Gautam | Creatives : Abhishek M
Tripura To Start Spoken English Classes To Equip School Students For Higher Studies, Jobs

Image Credits: The Indian Express

In an effort to equip school students for higher studies and job interviews, Tripura government is planning to start a 'spoken English training project' for the students of Class 11 under West district of Tripura, said Education Minister Ratan Lal Nath.

The Minister said that while the students of the state fair well in terms of education, they often take a backseat in higher education or job interviews due to their lack of English speaking abilities.

"There is a significance of spoken English in life today. So, we have decided to train them with spoken English apart besides regular course curriculum," the Minister was quoted by The Indian Express.

Under the pilot project in government and government-aided schools, after schools re-open, 30 students will be enrolled in each class of spoken English coaching, five days a week for six months after regular class-work.

The Minister added that while the project was slated to commence from April and continue till September, due to the COVID-19 crisis, it had to be postponed.

While currently, the spoken English coaching would start as a pilot project, after six months, the government plans to introduce the model to other seven districts as well.

Speaking to EastMojo, the Minister said, "The implementation of the project across all eight districts would depend on the success of the pilot project targeted with 4,000 students from West Tripura. If the pilot project becomes successful, we will further start the same in all districts in different phases."

"The supervision of the students would be done after completion of every 20 hours of class. The classes will be adjusted either before or after the school hours with coordination with the authorities concerned," he added.

According to the tentative guidelines, while 80 per cent students in the training will be from Bengali medium schools, the remaining 20 per cent would be from English medium schools.

Suggest a correction

    Help Us Correct

    To err is human, to help correct is humane
    Identified a factual or typographical error in this story? Kindly use this form to alert our editors
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Form Submitted Successfully
    Error in submitting form. Try again later

Contributors

Reethu Ravi

Reethu Ravi

Trainee Digital Journalist

Reethu, a story teller, a person often found between the pages of a book or contemplating the nuances of life.

Prateek Gautam

Prateek Gautam

Digital Editor

A free soul who believes that it is journalism apart from politics which should stand for the social cause and environment

Abhishek M

Abhishek M

Creative Producer

" An engineer by profession, Abhishek is the creative producer of the team, graphic designing is his passion and travelling his get away. In more ways than one, he makes the content visually appealing."

Next Story