Ranchi, August 17, 2026: Jharkhand’s student movement over alleged irregularities in government recruitment examinations reached a critical point on Monday, as student leader Devendra Nath Mahto entered the 15th day of his hunger strike and released a fresh video saying the situation had become “extremely critical”.
Mahto said the Jharkhand government had called student representatives for another round of talks and expressed hope that the discussions would produce meaningful, long-term reforms rather than a temporary settlement.
The agitation, centred on allegations involving the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC), has continued despite several rounds of negotiations. Students are demanding greater transparency, cancellation of examinations they allege were compromised, and an independent probe, including a CBI investigation.
The government, meanwhile, has maintained that substantial progress has already been made and has previously claimed that around 98% of the students’ demands have been addressed. Students dispute this assessment, saying only three of the 13 examinations they sought to have cancelled were scrapped.
Mahto’s Health Raises Concern
Mahto’s prolonged fast has added urgency to the dispute. Reports on Monday said he was suffering from dehydration and that his blood pressure had been falling, with doctors warning of dizziness and the need for continued medical monitoring.
His health had already deteriorated after the August 10 march towards the Jharkhand Assembly, when police used lathis, tear gas and water cannons to disperse protesters. Authorities said 14 police personnel were injured during the confrontation. Mahto was subsequently hospitalised but continued his protest.
The student leader’s latest message, however, was not limited to his own condition. Mahto called for lasting changes to the education and recruitment system so that future generations of students would not have to face similar struggles.
The appeal comes as another round of government-student talks is scheduled for Monday, offering a possible route out of the deadlock. The administration has invited student representatives and indicated that they could attend with legal advisers.
The government has also defended its record on the protesters’ demands. Higher Education Minister Sudivya Kumar Sonu has said that about 98% of the demands had been accepted, while the administration has maintained that it is willing to address legitimate student concerns. Students, however, argue that the unresolved issues are precisely those that matter most to them, particularly the demand for an independent investigation.
From Exam Row To Wider Movement
The present agitation began with growing dissatisfaction over the conduct of recruitment examinations, particularly the 14th JPSC examination and JSSC-CGL, with students alleging irregularities and a lack of transparency.
Mahto began his indefinite hunger strike at Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium after weeks of protests and sit-ins failed to produce what student leaders considered a satisfactory resolution. Their demands expanded beyond individual examinations to include independent investigations, accountability and reforms in the functioning of recruitment bodies.
The government has taken some steps. Reports said three JPSC examinations were cancelled following negotiations, while three JPSC members Ajita Bhattacharya, Anima Hansda and Jamal Ahmed—also resigned, with their resignations accepted by Governor Santosh Kumar Gangwar.
An Enforcement Directorate investigation into alleged irregularities connected with recruitment examinations has also been reported. Importantly, an investigation or allegation does not itself establish wrongdoing; the findings of competent agencies remain crucial.
The dispute intensified after the August 10 Assembly march and subsequent police action. The government said maintaining law and order was necessary, while critics accused the administration of using excessive force. Minister Sonu defended the government’s position, saying protests are a democratic right but disruption of law and order is unacceptable, while also accusing the Opposition of attempting to use the movement for political gain.
The agitation has meanwhile attracted support beyond student circles. Education reformer Sonam Wangchuk spoke to Mahto during his hunger strike and urged him to take care of his health. Mahto subsequently consumed water but continued his fast. The episode brought additional national attention to the Ranchi protest.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
The Jharkhand student protest is ultimately about more than one examination. For thousands of aspirants, competitive exams represent years of preparation, financial investment and hopes of securing a stable future. Allegations of irregularities therefore deserve a transparent, credible and time-bound response. At the same time, democratic protest must remain peaceful, and governments have a responsibility to engage with protesters without allowing confrontation to escalate.
The immediate priority should be protecting Mahto’s health, ensuring that students’ concerns are heard and establishing clearly what has been resolved and what remains outstanding. If the government believes existing investigations are sufficient, it should explain why; if students seek an independent probe, their concerns should be addressed through evidence and dialogue rather than confrontation.
Also read: NTA Orders UGC-NET Retests for 3 Subjects After Errors













