AI Generated

Reservation Hatao Andolan: Delhi Police Issues NOC For 500-Person Protest At Ramlila Ground

Delhi Police allows a restricted protest at Ramlila Ground after denying permission for Jantar Mantar gathering.

Supported by

The Delhi Police on August 21 issued a no-objection certificate (NOC) for a peaceful Reservation Hatao Andolan protest at Delhi’s Ramlila Ground, limiting attendance to 500 people and allowing the gathering until 4 pm.

The development came after the police clarified a day earlier that no permission had been granted for a protest, procession or gathering at Jantar Mantar, amid social-media posts claiming otherwise. The police said such claims were “false and misleading” and pointed to prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) in the New Delhi district.

Meanwhile, the movement had promoted August 21 as a day for a reservation-reform protest, with its website describing participation as peaceful and lawful while also clarifying that an acknowledged event letter did not itself amount to permission.

The latest NOC changes the immediate situation by providing an authorised venue, but only under specified conditions. The development comes as the online anti-reservation campaign, which has attracted millions of followers, seeks to move from social-media mobilisation to physical protest.

Harsh Dubey, a NEET aspirant who has emerged as a prominent face in the reservation-reform debate, has said he wants reforms to the existing system rather than simply framing the issue as a political campaign.

Media reported that Dubey planned the August 21 protest and said he wanted supporters who had backed the movement online to participate on the ground.

Police Clarifies Protest Rules

The immediate controversy began after claims circulated online that the Reservation Hatao Andolan had received permission to hold a protest at Jantar Mantar on August 21. On August 20, Delhi Police rejected the claim, saying that no permission had been granted for any protest, procession, demonstration or gathering at the location.

The police also cautioned people against forwarding unverified material and warned that action could be taken against those creating or circulating misleading information.

The movement’s own event page had earlier carried an important caveat: although an event communication submitted to the authorities had received an acknowledgement, the acknowledgement “should not be construed as permission” and final arrangements remained subject to directions from the authorities.

The situation subsequently shifted from a question of whether a Jantar Mantar protest was authorised to where a lawful gathering could actually take place. Delhi Police ultimately issued an NOC for Ramlila Ground, with the attendance capped at 500 and the protest restricted to a specified period.

The police’s conditions underline that permission to assemble is not unconditional and that organisers remain responsible for complying with directions relating to crowd management, movement and public order.

From Digital Campaign To Protest

The Reservation Hatao Andolan emerged prominently online in July, amid the wider youth mobilisation that followed protests over examination irregularities and the NEET controversy. Its social-media presence grew rapidly, while Harsh Dubey became increasingly visible after appearing in television discussions on reservation and challenging the existing system.

Media reported that Dubey said he was not opposed to reservation itself but wanted reforms, and that he planned to take the debate to Jantar Mantar after gaining attention during the earlier student protests. The movement’s online ecosystem has since expanded into a wider debate involving questions of merit, caste, economic disadvantage and equal opportunity.

Its supporters argue that economic circumstances should play a greater role in determining affirmative action, while critics contend that reservation cannot be understood solely as an anti-poverty measure because it was also designed to address historical and continuing caste-based exclusion.

The debate has consequently moved beyond examination cut-offs and government jobs into a broader argument about what equality should mean in India. Social-media discussions show sharply divided reactions, with supporters describing the mobilisation as a demand for reform and critics questioning its understanding of caste and the constitutional purpose of affirmative action.

The Logical Indian’s Perspective

The right to peaceful protest is an important part of a democracy, but so is the responsibility to ensure that dissent does not turn into intimidation, disruption or hostility towards communities. The Reservation Hatao Andolan has every right to place its arguments on reservation before the public, just as those who defend the existing system have the right to explain why they believe it remains necessary.

At the same time, neither side benefits when a complex question of caste, inequality and opportunity is reduced to slogans or when social media becomes a space for hostility rather than discussion. The Delhi Police’s latest decision to provide an authorised venue, while imposing limits intended to maintain public order, offers an opportunity for the disagreement to remain peaceful and democratic.

Also read: “Mere Desh Ke Jawan Bhai, Maaf Kar Do”: Ladakh Tourist Apologises After ‘We Are Gen Z’ Outburst

#PoweredByYou We bring you news and stories that are worth your attention! Stories that are relevant, reliable, contextual and unbiased. If you read us, watch us, and like what we do, then show us some love! Good journalism is expensive to produce and we have come this far only with your support. Keep encouraging independent media organisations and independent journalists. We always want to remain answerable to you and not to anyone else.

Featured

Amplified by

Amazon Prime

For Two Nights in June, Mumbai’s Sea Link and Asiatic Library Wore Light Like They’ve Never Worn It Before

Amplified by

Ministry of Road Transport and Highways

From Risky to Safe: Sadak Suraksha Abhiyan Makes India’s Roads Secure Nationwide

Recent Stories

AP: 6-Year-Old Vizag Boy Dies After Teacher Allegedly Slaps Him Over Homework; FIR Registered

People of Purpose: How Priya Agrawal and Antarang Foundation Are Bridging the School-to-Work Gap for Indian Youth

Punjab Bandh: Qaumi Insaaf Morcha Protests Disrupt Bus Services, Demand Release of Sikh Prisoners

Contributors

Writer : 
Editor : 
Creatives :